custom coordinate system SRID with PostGis

Jump to solution
04-25-2023 01:05 AM
Labels (3)
jherbst5
New Contributor II

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I am just getting started with a PostgreSql/PostGis database in ArcGis Pro. I have successfully connected the database to ArcGis and I am able to move GIS data back and forth using various methods. However in the excavation where I work, we use a custom coordinate system and the GIS data from PostGis appears in Layer Properties>Source>Spatial Reference: Unknown Coordinate System. I have added our coordinate system to the spatial_ref_sys table in the database and its recognized by QGIS fine but not ArcGis.

I have searched around how to get ArcGis to recognize the SRID and found a couple of old posts from 2013 and 2018:

https://community.esri.com/t5/geodatabase-questions/accessing-a-postgis-table-with-a-custom-srid/td-...

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/add-data-query-with-custom-srid/td-p/44299...

The posts mention a "back door" method of adding a custom system that ArcGis will recognize. Does anyone happen to know this method or any other way?

Thank you,

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi James, 

If you look at the files here: Github Esri projection-engine-db-doc objedit folder  and I can send you a document that explains it. Please drop me an email at mkennedy at esri dot com. 

Melita

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jherbst5
New Contributor II

I see in some other threads for similar topics that @MelitaKennedy is the expert on such problems. I hope its ok to tag her here.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi James, 

If you look at the files here: Github Esri projection-engine-db-doc objedit folder  and I can send you a document that explains it. Please drop me an email at mkennedy at esri dot com. 

Melita

0 Kudos
jherbst5
New Contributor II

Thank you Melita, I have sent you an email. Thanks for your help.

James

0 Kudos
FabioNeiraAlzate
New Contributor II

Hello Melita, Please, Can you share this document with me? 

0 Kudos