Editing: How to split a line feature at just one point?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
MatthewLeonard
Occasional Contributor

I want to split a selected line feature at one point, by snapping to a point feature to select the split point. Seems simple enough, and I can do this in ArcMap. When I try this using the Split tool under Edit - Tools / Modify Features in Pro, I get an error "Splitting Line Features failed." There is no explanation as to why it failed. 

MatthewLeonard_0-1715785803094.png

However, I found that if I draw a line with multiple vertices to specify where to split, and I cross the selected line twice at the same point, the line will split successfully and I will effectively accomplish what I want. But it shouldn't have to work this way. For this to work, I need a point feature already snapped to the line I want to split at the desired point, so I can make sure I cross the line at the same point twice. But, say I want to split at a point that is near the selected line but not snapped to it - then this roundabout method doesn't work. 

I don't want to use "Split Line At Point", because I don't want to create new output data. I want to edit the data I currently have. 

How can I do this very simple thing? Is this somehow a feature that is missing in ArcGIS Pro?

I just upgraded yesterday to Pro 3.3.0.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@MatthewLeonard the ArcGIS Pro editing team has been making some improvements to Split behind the scenes, where this specific scenario is addressed. We hope to have it available in the next release.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@MatthewLeonard you should be able to split a line by clicking on the edge of the line. My best guess: the point is offset from the line and point snapping takes precedence (meaning the split point doesn't intersect the line).

Try turning off the point snapping agent, and try again. If that doesn't work, please consider opening a case with Esri Technical Support.

MatthewLeonard
Occasional Contributor

@Scott_Harris You are right - the point I was snapping to as the split point was not exactly on the line I wanted to split. It is very close. I tried clicking a random place on the line edge as the split point, and it worked. I also then snapped a point to the line edge and used that point as the split point, and it also worked. 

But, in ArcMap I can use a point near the line as the split point. Whether or not this works depends on the zoom level. If I am zoomed in close enough where I can see some space between the point and the line, it will not work. But if I zoom out to where it looks like the point is on the line, then using that same point as the split point will work - it splits the line at a place nearest the split point. So, ideally I need to be able to do the same thing in Pro. Maybe there is a setting for the tolerance at which such a split will work?

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@MatthewLeonard the ArcGIS Pro editing team has been making some improvements to Split behind the scenes, where this specific scenario is addressed. We hope to have it available in the next release.

MatthewLeonard
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - that sounds like what I need. It is frustrating that functionality from ArcMap disappeared in Pro and then has to be added back years later. I've seen other examples of that kind of thing. But I'm glad you're working on it 🙂

0 Kudos