Remove Overlap (multiple) - Frequent Failures

2 weeks ago
Labels (2)
m3
by
Occasional Contributor II

I've been running a large project with the Remove Overlap tool (mostly arcpy) and very frequently I receive the non-helpful Error #999999

It won't process large areas so I've been using a fishnet to select regions to process but some regions process and some don't

Changing the buffer size seems to vary which fishnet grids it fails on so it seems like it might just be a math/programming issue but I cannot see any particular thing that causes it.

Strangely, running the tool in Pro vs Python has different results, areas that won't process in Python will process in Pro and vice versa.

My current workaround is each time it fails on a fishnet grid, I created another smaller fishnet in that grid and that usually works but sometimes fails also (because these failures seem random)

It would be nice if someone could take a look at this tool and make it more robust

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/remove-overlap-multiple.htm

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steve_Salas
Occasional Contributor

I had the same experience when trying to use this last week - crashing in my Python script tool, but better in the Pro application.  I went down the fishnet path as well:  used identity to chop up the buffers, then ran a dissolve to end up with buffers chopped up by the fishnet tiles.  That was good enough for my needs as I was using road buffers to overlay a different dataset and get some area summaries based on inside or outside of the buffer.  I'm still on Pro 3.1.x so was guessing BUG-000157194 might apply.  I'll try this tool again when we upgrade to 3.2 or 3.3.

m3
by

I'm on 3.3 btw so don't get too excited

0 Kudos
m3
by

FWIW, I noticed that just having Pro open when running the Python script seems to cause the errors on my end.  Not any particular APRX either.  May or may not help in your case. 

I'm still looking for the tool to actually remove all of the overlaps now.

0 Kudos
m3
by

I should also mention that I'm still getting overlaps

m3_0-1715804763825.png

0 Kudos