ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
07-12-2023 05:23 AM
MHoagland
New Contributor II

Good Morning.   I am working my way through various elementary tutorials... now in ArcGIS Online Basics.  Should I be work through exercises with ArcMap or (since ArcMap is soon to be replaced by ArcGIS Pro ??) should I move forward now with ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

@MHoagland the responses above are correct, you should learn ArcGIS Pro, not ArcMap. Here are some tutoriaIs that I recommend:

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanielleKleinman1
New Contributor II

Good morning MHoagland,

Yes, ArcGIS Pro is the better choice since ArcMap will soon be deprecated.  

Best of luck!

GaryMorris2
New Contributor III

Good morning, MHoagland,

I would definitely suggest ArcPro.

HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

@MHoagland the responses above are correct, you should learn ArcGIS Pro, not ArcMap. Here are some tutoriaIs that I recommend:

MHoagland
New Contributor II

OK...  really dumb question.  I'm trying the "Get Started with GIS Pro" tutorial.  I'm stuck at the very first step which is... "start ArcGIS Pro." I'm looking everywhere for how to do start ArcGIS Pro and I keep finding myself at the pages where I'm supposed to buy or try it.  But I already did...as an individual.  

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

@MHoagland have you already installed ArcGIS Pro? If not, find the .exe file you downloaded and follow the prompts to install the program. You can find more detailed instructions here: Install ArcGIS Pro.

Once it is installed, click your computer's Start button and type ArcGIS Pro to find the application. 

MHoagland
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply.  I had trouble getting ArcGIS Pro installed.  I got great help from Affi at ESRI.  I am now ready to start tackling the tutorials that you suggested.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
MHoagland
New Contributor II

All set with starting ArcGIS Pro.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

You are welcome!

0 Kudos
MHoagland
New Contributor II

Great! Thank you all! 

0 Kudos