How to Make Imagery Caches on Web Server Available on ArcGIS Portal/Server

Jump to solution
04-25-2024 06:32 AM
SciotoCoJT
New Contributor II

Hello, we have just recently set up an Enterprise system on our server. During the process, we migrated our old imagery caches which were on an ArcGIS server to a new server, the same one Enterprise is now deployed on, I am having some difficulty figuring out how to go about adding the old imagery into the Portal as basemaps, though the basemap portion should be easy enough. I am trying to avoid regenerating the imagery cache or uploading a copy of the imagery cache since they are so large and will be relatively time consuming as well as the server may not have the space to duplicate all of the imagery. 

Edit: The files are in a .bundle format, so I do not seem to be able to add them by going to portal-->create tile layer-->select from a dataset in a datastore. I did set the files up as a datastore. Adding the tile package didn't work either, which I created in my earlier attempts.

Edit 2: Background, originally everything was done on ArcMap and an old version of Server, so we have a bunch of old imagery caches that were on the old server I would like to import into Portal and Server without rebuilding them through ArcGIS Pro's interface. The imagery caches are sitting on the same Amazon Server hosting also hosting Enterprise. They Server and Portal are federated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SciotoCoJT
New Contributor II

Just in case anyone comes back to this. I resolved the issue by going back to the original imagery files and creating all knew imagery from the originals instead of using my existing caches. Not ideal since it took days, but it's done. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

Have you federated ArcGIS Server with Portal for ArcGIS?

Adding a .tpk/.tpkx to Portal for ArcGIS will allow you to publish a hosted tile layer, assuming the federation is Ok.

"We've boosted the Anti-Mass Spectrometer to 105 percent. Bit of a gamble, but we need the extra resolution."
0 Kudos
SciotoCoJT
New Contributor II

I have federated it. I will see if I did something wrong on the publishing. Thanks.

Checked, I'm getting an unknown error. I assume it's because it's trying to publish the tile cache I already have on the Server. See, when I got to this job, everything was done on ArcMap and an old version of Server. We have just finished setting up the Enterprise system and moving some stuff to ArcGIS Pro, but I built the tile cache in ArcMap before this was done and imported onto the Amazon Server hosting Enterprise. Seems like I should probably just rebuild all of the Imagery Caches. Though I would still like to know if it is possible to use the old caches.

0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @SciotoCoJT ,

You can take a different approach, let me try to describe that below:

• Move the cache to a shared location and allow ArcGIS Server Service account Full privileges on this folder. You can follow the steps as per below document depending on you cache type
  • Add a Cache Directory to ArcGIS Server (as the Image would be very large, would not recommend keeping them on same machine as ArcGIS server) but following the link below:
  • Publish the Image service to ArcGIS Server, while publishing
    • Navigate to configuration Tab > Select edit option on Imagery
    • Under Layer Drawing Section > Dynamically from Data (this is default but make sure to check)
    • Publish the Service
  • After the service publishes, access the server manager and access the caching tab for the new service
  • From here, change the caching to "using tiles from a cache" and specify the cache directory path to the copied folder from previously
  • Save and Restart the Service.

Things to really make sure as Cached Service would not allow any deviations:

• Publish a new using the same naming convention as the previous Image service & cache folder.
    For example, if the Service is called Test_Image_Service and the cache folder is Test_Image_Service, make sure you use the same name when publishing a new service.
  • Keeping the name same for the copied folder and the service is crucial.

Once this workflow is done, You can add these services as an Item to Portal for ArcGIS or if they are federated (not sure as you didn't reply to @A_Wyn_Jones's query) the items will visible by default.

Do let me know if you encounter issue in this workflow.

Hope it helps!

-Archit

0 Kudos
SciotoCoJT
New Contributor II

Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it. 

I followed steps 1 and 2 easily enough. I may need some advice on step 3: Publish the Imager Service. I have the image service in ArcGIS Pro and I have a connection to the server. When I right click on it to publish to the server connection, it doesn't give me the option to publish. Attached a picture

I was checking this guidance. Publish an image service—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

It seems like it is required to publish my files from my Amazon server running Enterprise to the server still? No way to just make a connection and show in Server/Portal?

Thanks

0 Kudos
SciotoCoJT
New Contributor II

Just in case anyone comes back to this. I resolved the issue by going back to the original imagery files and creating all knew imagery from the originals instead of using my existing caches. Not ideal since it took days, but it's done. 

0 Kudos