Global map as child of a moving parent: wrong positions for rendered globe fragments

03-04-2024 02:08 PM
mz8i
by
New Contributor

I am trying to use the SDK in VR in a way that generates some issues. The scene set-up is an ArcGIS Map component (Global type) that is scaled down to create a small globe object (let's say a 0.2 meter radius) that the user can, for example, walk around. There is an ArcGIS Camera positioned as a child of the map, but it's not being updated at all. The main VR camera is separate.

When the globe is positioned statically in the scene so that the user can walk around the globe, the basemap tiles load correctly.

The problem appears in a set-up where the globe is set as a child of the user's hand/controller. When the basemap tiles load, there seems to be a problem with how the newly loaded fragments of the globe are positioned. The faster the user moves their hand, the more the resulting globe will be distorted. See below two screenshots:

The first is the result of the hand standing almost still when the map is loading. You can still see the slight gaps between map tiles because the hand cannot perfectly still, so a distortion still appears.

mz8i_1-1709589481254.jpeg

The second is the result of the user moving their hand a lot as the tiles are loading.

mz8i_0-1709589459134.jpeg

Note that after the map is fully loaded, moving the hand around moves the whole object correctly. But the object is not a correct globe, but rather a distorted shape.

Just my interpretation, but it feels that there is some problem with **when** the SDK establishes the position at which to render the fragments of the globe. Perhaps the transform is calculated before the data loading starts, whereas it should actually be calculated after the data has been loaded and the map tile is about the be rendered?

0 Kudos
0 Replies