Add Legend Symbols to Popups

3 weeks ago
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Good afternoon all,

I'm working with clustered points in a web map published to Enterprise 10.9.1 and am trying to figure out a way to add corresponding legend symbols to feature popups. Haven't had much luck so far. Has anyone else tackled this?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Omar_A
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

Typically, legend symbols are associated with layers on the map to aid in interpreting the symbols displayed on the map canvas, rather than within the popups themselves. Popups are generally configured to show attribute information, related records, and media such as images or charts.

If you are looking to enhance popups beyond these default capabilities, you might need to utilize the ArcGIS API for JavaScript for more advanced customization options. I recommend exploring the ArcGIS Developers site for customizing popups with the ArcGIS API for JavaScript.PopupTemplate | API Reference | ArcGIS Maps SDK for JavaScript 4.29 | ArcGIS Developers

Additionally, the video below from an Esri event provides a walkthrough of different popup customizations. I suggest you start by skipping to minute 19:18 to see if it addresses what you are looking for; if not, you may find other useful options throughout the presentation.ArcGIS API for Javascript: Better UX with Popups (youtube.com)

I hope this helps. Thank you!

0 Kudos
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for the resources, Omar. I'll be sure to check them out.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

This may or may not work for your situation but you can try reinforcing the connection between the popup and the map's features by carrying over the feature's color into your popup. Here I have popup for a layer of capital projects where each type of project has a different symbol color. Using Arcade, I look at what type of project it is and then color the background of the header text with the same color that's used in the map.

popup_symbol_color_tiein.jpg

BenClark
Occasional Contributor

I like this improvisation, Steve, and I might try to go this route as well. As of right now I'm dealing with 39 different values, so it won't work for now, but we're looking at possibly bifurcating or trifurcating those 39 into super-groups that'll indeed be color coded. Your workaround might work there very well.