Have layer name, but no symbology when collecting data points

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
SeanBabcock22
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying to build a template form for Field Maps as we try to transition away from ArcPad. To improve the workflow while collecting data, I want to select a layer name and fill in the fields on my form to populate the symbology. I don't want to have to scroll through symbology to select the data point I want and then fill the rest of the fields, but I want to be able to see symbology on the map afterwards. 

In ArcPad you could select a sample area, enter the required data, and a feature would be generated with symbology reflecting what was entered into the fields. With Field Maps it feels like endless scrolling is always required which slows down data collection. Might seem trivial, but when thousands or tens of thousands of data points are being collected it adds up. 

If this makes sense, is there anyway to achieve this? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

By the look of your first image, it looks like you only have a single template for the Distress Points, but not sure what the second photo is unless is selecting the distress type in the form (but I only see 4 in there and a huge list in the legend).

If I set up a form with a single template item (I have two layers here, both with single template item, Try This now and Post):

RhettZufelt_0-1714583762399.png

Then select one of the feature buttons, it will take me to the form for that layer (Try This now):

RhettZufelt_1-1714583809305.png

And lets me populate the form values and I have a Domain (pick list) for all the acceptable values for this field (I have a huge list, so either need to scroll to find the value I'm after or start typing in the 'Filter' box.  Will also show the most recently used values at the top of the list so no need to scroll/filter:

RhettZufelt_3-1714584624221.png

In the map, I have symbolized on the MUTCD Code field (you would use your distress type field):

RhettZufelt_2-1714584035948.png

Does this help resolve your issue or am I still missing something?

R_

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Not sure I understand, but sounds like maybe you have a template for each of the "symbiology's" that you are selecting to create that type of feature (one button for Hydrant, one for Valve, one for blow off, etc. etc)?

Another way would be to just have basic template for a point, then a form to add/edit the field values.  Then, you would just symbolize the map based off of the field value(s).

As new points are added, they would take on the symbology defined by filed values for the point layer.

If this isn't the case, maybe a screenshot or two to help describe the desired process.

R_

0 Kudos
SeanBabcock22
New Contributor II

So I would like to have a basic collection screen without any scrolling similar to below, or just with the layer name and no symbology at all. Then after starting collection, use the identification of the distress to set the symbology of that point on the map with symbols like on the right picture.

Currently I can set it up with the symbology to collect all the data, but then field techs have to scroll through over 90 different symbols to find the desired distress. It isn't very efficient and would be making life more difficult for them, then using ArcPad.

Collection_Screen.pngID_Screen.pngScreenshot 2024-05-01 081803.png

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

By the look of your first image, it looks like you only have a single template for the Distress Points, but not sure what the second photo is unless is selecting the distress type in the form (but I only see 4 in there and a huge list in the legend).

If I set up a form with a single template item (I have two layers here, both with single template item, Try This now and Post):

RhettZufelt_0-1714583762399.png

Then select one of the feature buttons, it will take me to the form for that layer (Try This now):

RhettZufelt_1-1714583809305.png

And lets me populate the form values and I have a Domain (pick list) for all the acceptable values for this field (I have a huge list, so either need to scroll to find the value I'm after or start typing in the 'Filter' box.  Will also show the most recently used values at the top of the list so no need to scroll/filter:

RhettZufelt_3-1714584624221.png

In the map, I have symbolized on the MUTCD Code field (you would use your distress type field):

RhettZufelt_2-1714584035948.png

Does this help resolve your issue or am I still missing something?

R_