Ranking in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
Labels (2)
Lucavson
New Contributor II

Hello, I am wondering if there is a quick way to rank entities in ArcGIS Pro. For example, if I have a layer containing Communication Towers (point features) spread across states within a country and each Tower is owned by an Operators (let's say we have 4 operators), how do I rank which operator has the most towers in each state? So, I am considering having four (4) fields created (first_operator, second_operator, third_operator, and fourth_operator). For each State, I want to know which operator comes first, second, etc.

Can someone assist, please?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The rest would require coding to produce the basic table structure, then you could use python to calculate the values for your fields

Create Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Add Fields (multiple) (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Calculate Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or export to excel and rearrange the results there

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As a first look, I would examine the output of

Summary Statistics (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

where the "case" field would be the field where your operators are saved and you would want a "count" by case

... sort of retired...
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

If you have your individual data points created with fields attributing them to the tower operator but you’re looking for how many of them are in a certain state, and you also have polygon features of the state, you can try using some spatial join options if you would like to create a new feature class that combines the data of your existing features. The combined data should provide a count of the points within a particular state.

If you’re looking for information from feature classes with data fields already populated then I would go with @DanPatterson‘s advice.

Hope that helps.

Lucavson
New Contributor II

Ranking_Question1.pngRanking_Question2.pngThis is how the final State table should look likeThis is how the final State table should look like

Thanks to @Eugene_Adkins  and @DanPatterson . Your suggestions were quite useful, I performed the spatial Jion as well as the summarize statistics to arrive at the first two images. However, I'll like the final result of the State Attribute table to look like the table in the third picture. I can go through a long path to arrive at the solution. However, there might be an effective way around it. Further assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks .

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Lucavson
New Contributor II

Thanks so much. Its interesting to note that ArcGIS Pro has a pivot table.

The result after applying the pivot table tool is quite close to what I want, but not exactly. 

Ranking_Question4.png

As shown in the picture, I have the count for each State and the corresponding counts per operator.

I'd like to advance by ranking operators relative to their performance in each state. So I'd like to have columns for First_Operator, Second_Operator, Third_Operator, and Forth_Operator. So for Abia State, under First Operator, it should be MTN since it obviously has the highest number of towers, and the second_operator will be Airtel (the result should be similar to the picture below).Ranking_Question3.png

I hope I have been able to provide sufficient clarity on the problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The rest would require coding to produce the basic table structure, then you could use python to calculate the values for your fields

Create Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Add Fields (multiple) (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Calculate Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or export to excel and rearrange the results there

... sort of retired...
Lucavson
New Contributor II

Thank you very much. I opt for the excel as I am not yet good with python.

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos