To get atribute data of a Vector (shapefile) to a fishnet Grid

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
cskari
by
New Contributor

Hi all

In ArcGIS Pro, I created a 0.01 degree fishnet (GDA2020 coordinate system) and used the Grid file to get attribute data of a raster using the "Tabulate Area " tool. So now my Tabulate Area Table contains raster attributes as columns 

I now want to get attribute data of a vector (shapefile of GDA 1994 coordinate system) to the same table (or to a separate table of 0.01-degree fishnet grid). Which tool can  I use for getting attribute data of a vector file ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Honeycutt
Occasional Contributor II

I think the Tabulate Intersection tool will do what you want.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Dale_Honeycutt

Here's a great topic about geoprocessing tools and spatial reference (coordinate system) that hopefully will answer your question. 

Tools that output a new feature class from multiple inputs with different coordinate systems have logic to determine the coordinate system of the output.  If the inputs have different coordinate systems, coordinates of one (or more) of the inputs have to be transformed during tool execution (leading to increased processing times). Sometimes, these transformations can really affect results, especially for large areas with features with sparsely-spaced vertices - think of a two-point line covering a large distance, as illustrated in the linked topic

Dale_Honeycutt_2-1713556514550.png

(This is why the Densify tool exists)

Knowing this logic and the effect coordinate system transformation on processing and output is important stuff and quite overlooked.

For your data, it seems the coordinate system of your datasets would be similar enough that they wouldn't have a big effect on area/length calculations(?), but maybe so if the extent of your inputs is large?

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dale_Honeycutt

I think the Tabulate Intersection tool will do what you want.

0 Kudos
cskari
by
New Contributor

Many Thanks Dale

I used 'Tabulate Intersection' and then 'Pivot Table' tools and I received the table as I wanted. However, I am still not sure about the Area values. Do I have to set the Environment Tab coordinate system? 

0 Kudos
Dale_Honeycutt

Here's a great topic about geoprocessing tools and spatial reference (coordinate system) that hopefully will answer your question. 

Tools that output a new feature class from multiple inputs with different coordinate systems have logic to determine the coordinate system of the output.  If the inputs have different coordinate systems, coordinates of one (or more) of the inputs have to be transformed during tool execution (leading to increased processing times). Sometimes, these transformations can really affect results, especially for large areas with features with sparsely-spaced vertices - think of a two-point line covering a large distance, as illustrated in the linked topic

Dale_Honeycutt_2-1713556514550.png

(This is why the Densify tool exists)

Knowing this logic and the effect coordinate system transformation on processing and output is important stuff and quite overlooked.

For your data, it seems the coordinate system of your datasets would be similar enough that they wouldn't have a big effect on area/length calculations(?), but maybe so if the extent of your inputs is large?

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos