Export to CAD- Attributes?

02-22-2011 10:36 AM
PhyllisDavis
New Contributor II
:confused:Quick Question-

It says in ArcGIS 10 you can export to CAD and it will preserve attributes in an xrecord:
Exporting data to DWG files (2007 or higher) automatically embeds the coordinate system and feature class schema in a format that enables ArcGIS Desktop to read the entities as CAD-defined feature classes. Similarly, feature attributes are also exported by default and linked to the appropriate DWG entities. Once the CAD file is generated, this information is immediately viewable in ArcGIS Desktop, and it can be edited in the AutoCAD application using ArcGIS for AutoCAD.

However, I tried to export a simple point layer with three attributes fields, and a fellow co-worker can not display the attribute information in AutoCAD 2007.  When I open the dwg file in ArcMap, I can see all of the data associated with it, why can't they see it in AutoCAD?

THANKS in advance
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III
:confused:Quick Question-

It says in ArcGIS 10 you can export to CAD and it will preserve attributes in an xrecord:

However, I tried to export a simple point layer with three attributes fields, and a fellow co-worker can not display the attribute information in AutoCAD 2007.  When I open the dwg file in ArcMap, I can see all of the data associated with it, why can't they see it in AutoCAD?

THANKS in advance

Hi Phyllis,

To view the data associated in AutoCAD you need to install ArcGIS for AutoCAD. You can download it from here.
0 Kudos
PhyllisDavis
New Contributor II
Thanks for the answer....another quick question...we have been reading through ArcGIS for AutoCAD and need some input.

The common questions page says that you do not need ArcGIS Server to use ArcGIS for AutoCAD-is this true?  Are your tasks limited to in AutoCAD if you do not have ArcGIS Server?

We don't have ArcGIS server and are trying to see if this would benefit us.

thanks!!!
0 Kudos
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III
Thanks for the answer....another quick question...we have been reading through ArcGIS for AutoCAD and need some input.

The common questions page says that you do not need ArcGIS Server to use ArcGIS for AutoCAD-is this true?  Are your tasks limited to in AutoCAD if you do not have ArcGIS Server?

We don't have ArcGIS server and are trying to see if this would benefit us.

thanks!!!

Hi Phyllis,

You can still access Basemaps and other services on server.arcgisonline.com. Your tasks are not limited if you do not have ArcGIS Server.
0 Kudos