Best Practices for appending data from a SeDF or Arrow Table to an existing feature class?

03-21-2024 12:57 PM
West-d-gis
New Contributor

I am working on a process to convert some Civil 3D CAD dwgs to GIS data in an Enterprise DB. Due to all the progress ArcGIS Pro has made in the last year with natively supporting many Civil 3D things, I found it easier & faster to work within arcpy than to leverage FME for this process.

I can successfully, quickly, and easily get the Civil 3D data into spatially-enabled dataframes for easy & quick field manipulation. However, I'm stuck with what process to use to take that data and add it back into my Enterprise feature class.

I've tried using arcpy.management.Append() but ran into various errors when using the SEDF. When I converted the SeDF to an apache table, the schema was not to esri specifications so it also would not append. I'm also suspicious of using Append due to experience with it being fairly slow.

A colleague has created a process that uses insert cursors but they state it feels messy and they're not sure if that's the approach we should take.

I can successfully read the target feature class as a sedf, concatenate it with the new dataframe, and then write it back to the Enterprise on a new version...but that process took almost 5 minutes for only 16 rows of data so seems unsustainable when this code will be running on thousands of records on multiple feature classes.

What are some of the best practices for writing SEDF's to existing feature classes for speed and efficiency?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
West-d-gis
New Contributor

In case anyone stumbles across this in the future...

To increase speed & efficiency, I wrote the seDF using an insert cursor to the eGDB. It reduced the time to less than 30s per feature class.

0 Kudos