Configure feature and table search for maps - limitations?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (2)
Ingrid_Lindberg
New Contributor II

Hello Community!
I have a question about the Search function (Configure feature and table search for maps—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation)

I have enabled my Web Map for Search by a specific layer and field in the Web Map Settings. It works - but not to my satisfaction. The field I want to search contains titles of reports. I have chosen Contains as the search option but the search only shows matches of the first word of the field, and misses all other words in the title. I want the whole title to be searchable and not just the First word.

Is there a fix for this? 

Kindly / Ingrid

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I just did a quick test publishing a version of one of the layers with and creating an index on that field. It looks like the search is working as expected with the index created successfully. I shared that sample to the group you created. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is possible with hosted services that have a fulltext index.  This blog outlines how this works https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/searching-for-features-in-maps-and-a...

When no index exists the search will do just a starts with search query. 

0 Kudos
Ingrid_Lindberg
New Contributor II

Hello Russel

- and thank you so much for a quick reply. 

- In AGOL I chose the hosted Feature layer > Settings >Field Indexes > Add Index > Full text + the right Layer and Field 

BUT! I only get Error message Unable to create Index - (the table it's in Swedish with some strange characters 🤔)

Was this supposed to work or have I got it all wrong? 🙃

Kind regards / Ingrid

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you can share a sample of the data I can try to reproduce the issue? You can drop it into a group and invite russell_jsapi 

0 Kudos
Ingrid_Lindberg
New Contributor II

Thank you!
I do not know how to create a sample of it. I will share the original hosted Feature layer with you - so you can take a look. The Field I am trying to Index is "Namn" in the top Layer in the list of choice.

Ingrid_Lindberg
New Contributor II

Hello Russell

Have you had the time to take a look ?- and could you make anything out of it? I suspect I will have to try and remake the table in ArcGIS and start all over. 🙂

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I just did a quick test publishing a version of one of the layers with and creating an index on that field. It looks like the search is working as expected with the index created successfully. I shared that sample to the group you created. 

Ingrid_Lindberg
New Contributor II

Thenk you som much for taking the time :-)!

After seeing your version I went back to ArcGIS Pro, indexed and joined tables properly - instead of shortcut with exporting as feature to make join permanent -🙃 When I then shared it as weblayer and brought it into Web Map the search worked great ! 
Thanks! An All the Best

Ingrid