Web Stylx in Map Viewer

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
RonaldVanderpool
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to add the Esri Web Stylx files loaded to the ArcGIS Pro Styles folder into the symbology selector in the Map Viewer? For use across the org?

There are many good styles that are available in the Pro/Portal/ArcGIS Online that would be awesome to utilize in the Map Viewer without having to create a .png from the style and upload to the symbology selector each time you want to use it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

It does not appear as if you can share the favorites style as a web style.

You can copy/paste them into a new/different style and will be able to share that as web style.

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Never tried this, so just did a test.

I shared a web style with 10 point symbols in it, then used one of them to update a layer in a web map using one of the new styles.

RhettZufelt_0-1716238375588.png

Then, in Pro, I copy/pasted (added) a few new symbols in the style and re-shared as web style using same name.

It warned me that it will be overwritten, I said OK.

RhettZufelt_1-1716238416260.png

Then, in the same web map, I set the symbology again:

RhettZufelt_2-1716238451369.png

and the new symbols added to the style are there, but, did not 'break' the symbology I had already used.

So, yes, it appears as if you can easily overwrite an existing web style.

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
RonaldVanderpool

Awesome Russ,

I believe this is the exact guidance we will need. We will run some tests and if we can make it work as you have provided we will mark this as the solution.

I appreciate your rapid response to the questions.

0 Kudos
RonaldVanderpool

So Russ, 

Probably missing a step following the guidance blogs. I have several styles in saved as Favorites in a Pro project. These are the styles I want to have in the AGOL for use in the Map Viewer.

In Pro, in Catalog view, there is not an option to Share As Web Style. The symbols were created/configured very similar to your blog guidance, then saved to favorites.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

It does not appear as if you can share the favorites style as a web style.

You can copy/paste them into a new/different style and will be able to share that as web style.

R_

0 Kudos
RonaldVanderpool

Thank you Rhett.

This is making the difference. Bummer there is not a way to just publish a style collection but only 50 some to go. 😞

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Not sure what a "style collection" is, unless you just mean the different groups under the Styles folder in Catalog.

If so, you can just create a new style (collection), then copy/paste the desired subset of symbology's (point, line, polygon symbols)  from the other styles to that one, then when you publish it, they should all be there.

A good way to publish 'only' the subset you need, rather than a bunch of separate styles.

R_

0 Kudos
RonaldVanderpool

Yep, Style collection is the groups in the Catalog Pane.
And your reply is the exact answer I needed. Never dawned on me that I could copy more than one to the new style. Game changer.

Here is a related question but a little off topic. What if I wanted to add another style to the published style group. Is there a way to overwrite and existing published style or is it just create a new with the added plus old and run with it?

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Never tried this, so just did a test.

I shared a web style with 10 point symbols in it, then used one of them to update a layer in a web map using one of the new styles.

RhettZufelt_0-1716238375588.png

Then, in Pro, I copy/pasted (added) a few new symbols in the style and re-shared as web style using same name.

It warned me that it will be overwritten, I said OK.

RhettZufelt_1-1716238416260.png

Then, in the same web map, I set the symbology again:

RhettZufelt_2-1716238451369.png

and the new symbols added to the style are there, but, did not 'break' the symbology I had already used.

So, yes, it appears as if you can easily overwrite an existing web style.

R_

0 Kudos
RonaldVanderpool

Super helpful Rhett,

Thank you for doing the deep dive and providing guidance.

Have a great rest of your week and upcoming Memorial Day weekend. 🙂

0 Kudos