Select_one Autocomplete functionality issue on web survey accessed through browser on smart phone

2 weeks ago
EricPetersen
New Contributor II

I have a web survey with a field/survey question constructed as a "select_one_from_file" with "autocomplete," with the intention that the respondent starts typing, sees the appropriate response appear in the dropdown list, and selects the correct response (out of ~10,000 possibilities, so it is crucial to have this functionality).

This works as intended on a web browser accessed from a desktop computer. However, there is an issue with the survey when accessing it from a smart phone (specifically iPhone) on the phone browser (Safari or Chrome). The autocomplete options from the "select_one_from_file" now appear in the iPhone autocomplete bar above the keyboard. When the user presses on the correct response in the autocomplete bar, this fails to populate the "select_one" field. The only way to appropriately populate the response is to press the small down arrow button to the right of the field after inserting some text, then selecting the correct response. This is cumbersome and unacceptable for our purposes. This survey is intended for public use by untrained individuals and should thus be very easy to complete.

Is there any way to constrain the behavior of autocomplete in order to suppress the iPhone autocomplete feature and automatically open up the drop down menu (which is the behavior I see in the desktop browser)? Or are there any better solutions, i.e. implementing a constrained autocomplete for a "text" type question field?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It may only work for Android but try this setting to turn it off.

DougBrowning_2-1714517918049.png

In the published survey, the predictive text is displayed for the question with a predictivetext appearance (image on the left) and not displayed for the question with a nopredictivetext appearance (image on the right) on an Android device.

From https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-set-consistent-formatting-and-spelling-for-resp... 

Hopefully that does it.

0 Kudos
EricPetersen
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response! This doesn't do it, however. "predictivetext" and "nopredictivetext" apply to text type fields only; I'm using a "select_one_from_file" type field. I also understand that the predictivetext appearance options apply only to using the form within the Field app; I intend this survey for use on mobile browsers on devices used by the public. 

JasonDowns
New Contributor II

I am also experiencing this issue while using dropdowns sourced from a feature layer with approximately 4k items. However, using Chrome on the iPhone seems to work fine. Following for any updates.

0 Kudos