ArcGIS data in City Engine 2016 will not work

06-24-2016 05:21 PM
AngelaRoberts
New Contributor II

Hi, I am trying out City Engine 2016 for the first time but I can't get the Esri World Elevation data to work in the "Get Map Data” Interface. I've signed up for the free trial at: http://www.arcgis.com/features/free-trial.html and have looked for the last 3 or 4 hours on how to get it to turn on without success. Also, I exported some streets out of City Engine 2016 as a .obj file but when I imported the file into C4D the .obj wasn't there or wasn't scaled right. Just wondering if the trial is fully functional without constraints as advertised or am I doing something wrong.  Thanks for the help. angelaroberts8@yahoo.com

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The city engine help might be useful

Help -

and the section on getting data way down at the bottom, which appears similar to what you are trying, but haven't completed

0 Kudos
AngelaRoberts
New Contributor II

Dan, You are awesome for emailing me! I think I've been to that help section 5 times today. I'm totally signed in but signing in doesn't turn on or activate the Esri World Elevation section.  Am I correct in saying the Esri World Elevation Section will give me the building height information?

Angela

0 Kudos
AngelaRoberts
New Contributor II

Dan, You are awesome for emailing me! I think I've been to that help section 5 times today. I'm totally signed in but signing in doesn't turn on or activate the Esri World Elevation section.  Am I correct in saying the Esri World Elevation Section will give me the building height information?

Angela

0 Kudos
AngelaRoberts
New Contributor II

OK - I'm signed in but I guess I haven't joined an organization?  It's been a long day and now I'm frustrated. How do I get in touch with an administrator to join and organization? I don't see that information anywhere. Sorry. Wish the program worked straight out of the box without having to go through so many steps to get to where I'm going. I would love to make this program work for me. Thanks again for the help.  Angela

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if you are with an educational institution, then the easiest way is to contact the administrator of the esri account.  You may have to go through a course instructor, if that person is not known to you

0 Kudos
AngelaRoberts
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, I guess I will have to go through a course instructor.  Is there a cost associated in going through a course instructor? How do I find a course instructor? Sorry, I was hoping this process would be simple. I don't want to take up too much of your time. You have been very gracious towards me by answering my questions on a Friday night.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

someone at your institution is probably running the gis license, I would check your library as a first shot, then check for what courses are being offered in gis and track down the instructor.  good luck

0 Kudos
AngelaRoberts
New Contributor II

Dear Fatimah and Dan Patterson,

Last week I downloaded the free trial of City Engine 2015. I spent several hours going through tutorials and found the process of making a 3D city took up too much of my time so I considered my time working with City Engine 2015 pretty much wasted. Yesterday I viewed the new YouTube video for City Engine 2016. I saw that the City Engine 2016 software had been upgraded for easily importing all the maps necessary for creating nicely scaled 3D city models so I decided to try the software again. To my utter disappointment I found myself spending most of my day and night trying to figure out how to make the "Get Data Map" work. Again, my entire day was wasted because at 6:15pm I finally found out that I need an administrator to approve my use of City Engine. This morning I started again trying to figure out how to get an administrator to approve my use of your software only to find out that I have to pay for training. Again, my time was wasted. I am a self taught Cinema 4D artist and wanted to work with City Engine so I could compare it to the Cinema 4D plugin called DEM Earth. Oh well - so much for that.

Now - I would like to make a suggestion! Please put a disclaimer on the "Free-Trial" City Engine website page that explains to the visitor they have to be apart of an educational institute so an administrator can approve their "Free-Trial" of City Engine. If they are not apart of a educational institute then they will have to go through a course instructor and the course will cost "X" amount of dollars -  only then will they have the ability to experience a fully functional "Free-Trial" of City Engine.

Thank you Fatimah (Esri Customer Care) and Dan Patterson (Esri Community Forum) for trying to helping me figure out why my fully functional "Free-Trial" of City Engine 2016 would not work. Sorry if I sound frustrated. If Esri decides to change this "administration approval" please let me know. The CityEngine 2016 software looks like it would have been a great addition to my CG tool set.

Best Regards,

Angela Roberts