Arcscene streaking transparent draped layers

Jump to solution
08-12-2015 09:59 PM
JohnLowry
New Contributor III

I am using Arcscene to create a 3d view with a transparent layer draped over the DEM.  I find I get streaks in the view.  Can someone tell me what causes this?  Is there something I can do to avoid this?  Many thanks.

Capture_Streaks.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnLowry
New Contributor III

Thanks to all you shared your advice.

I've been informed that there is known bug with ArcScene 10.2.2. that causes this.  I was advised to use ArcGlobe instead and have done so.  There is no streaking when I use ArcGlobe.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

I am not exactly sure how to rid of the lines in ArcScene.  However, try exporting the scene to a 3D Web Scene and see if the lines are still visible.  This may clean up the look of the draped layer.

This will give you a .3ws file.  Just upload that file to ArcGIS online and open the scene.

0 Kudos
JohnLowry
New Contributor III

Hi Micah,

Thanks.  I tried just as you suggested, and found that I still have streaks in ArcGIS online (http://arcg.is/1NbQxzL)  I am new to working with 3d visualizations so don't know if this should be happening.   I doubt it should be, so am beginning to think there might be something wrong with my data.  But I don't know what.

Many thanks,

John

0 Kudos
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

What did you use as the base height for the transparent layer? Are they all in the same xyz coordinate system?

0 Kudos
faiz_ur_rehmanfaiz
New Contributor

Just use sketch up or city engine and export into Arc Scene.

0 Kudos
JohnLowry
New Contributor III

I'm using a vertical exaggeration calculated from the extent (10x).  The DEM x,y,z are all meters.  I am using base-height of 2000 m for the geology layer.  Which seems too high to me, but when I set it any lower, the geology layer doesn't drape over the dem, but seems to "cut through" it.  And still there is the streaking.

0 Kudos
MikeCusi

So the geology layer is using the base height of your DEM X 10? Why not use the DEM as the source of the base height for your geology layer and apply an offset?

0 Kudos
JohnLowry
New Contributor III

I think that's what I'm doing.  From Scene layers, I have set the vertical exaggeration based on extent--which comes to about 10x.  I want to have the shaded relief under the transparent geology layer, so for both of them I am using the dem as the "Elevation from surfaces" and have tried setting the offset of the geology "above" the elevation surface. And it doesn't show up unless I specify an offset that is really large, e.g. 300.

0 Kudos
MikeCusi

You could try rasterizing your geology layer to the same pixels as your DEM.

0 Kudos
JohnLowry
New Contributor III

Thanks to all you shared your advice.

I've been informed that there is known bug with ArcScene 10.2.2. that causes this.  I was advised to use ArcGlobe instead and have done so.  There is no streaking when I use ArcGlobe.