Creating elevation raster from point data

04-21-2015 12:13 AM
JaneB
by
New Contributor

I have a raster elevation model above sea-level and a point feature class for the bathymetry in fjords and ocean, with quite varied density of the points.

Any ideas on how to combine the information from both datasets into one new raster layer containing elevation information above and below sea-level?

I am running arcmap 10.2 with spatial analyst and 3D analyst toolboxes.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

many options...which give rise to questions

• why do you need a raster as output?
  • do you just want the values from both files, just at the locations where the points are?
  • give the one above, do you want estimates of seabed bathymetry?
  • can I assume that you have nodata values in the fjords and the ocean area in general are those areas assigned a value of zero
  • got a picture/image?  further suggestions regarding things like interpolation will depend upon the nature and distribution of your point data to infill/estimate the areas between intervening locations
  • what is the accuracy of the seabed depth measures relative to their range (and any other quantitative measures for said data
  • could go on...but won't...more questions will arise until the scenario is clearer

back to you...

0 Kudos
JaneB
by
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for your answer that got me on track for a solution.

I have now solved the problem using an inverse distance algorithm.

Jane

0 Kudos
PeterJones
Occasional Contributor

Jane as Dan mentioned there are many things to consider, I tend to use different algorithms / interpolations until I find one that fits "best". There are many parameters and variables you can play around with ... have a play to find what you need.

There is also a merge tool for rasters. I'd be careful of any overlap here though, so probably best to ensure that they don't overlap.

0 Kudos