3D editing toolbar

10-23-2009 11:31 AM
MoragHawkins
New Contributor II
Original Post Date: Oct 23, 2009 12:31 PM PDT

Apologies if I have missed something, but I cannot see the 3D editing toolbar in arcglobe by default or in the customise list. Is this not slated for beta 1?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
AllisonRost
Esri Contributor
3D editing through ArcGlobe is going to be available after Beta 1. You should have a 3D editing toolbar in ArcScene.

Allison...
ESRI Support Technical Lead
0 Kudos
MoragHawkins
New Contributor II
thanks allison.
0 Kudos
SherryMcGartland
New Contributor
I have a functional 3D Analyst toolbar in ArcMap but the toolbar is greyed out in ArcScene.  The extension is turned on.  Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
AllisonRost
Esri Contributor
I tested out the 3D analyst toolbar in ArcScene and it is active when I add a TIN or a Single Band raster - do you have one of these data types in your document?

If you have the tutorial data loaded there is a TIN called dtm_tin at the following location:

C:\arcgis\ArcTutor\3DAnalyst\Exercise5\surface data\

What happens when you bring this in?

Thanks,

Allison...
ESRI Support Technical Lead
0 Kudos
SherryMcGartland
New Contributor
It was while trying to complete the tutorial Exercise #3 when I ran accross this issue.  I was unable to point to Convert and click Features to 3D.  I was able to perform the functions in Arc Catalog, to finish out the tutorial, but never was able to use the tool bar in ArcScene.

Also is there a way to display the toolbox icon within ArcMap or ArcScene?
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
I also tested the 3d editing toolbar in ArcScene and all I had in the scene was 2d polygons and I had no problem editing them.  To convert features into 3d, I'm assuming you were trying this with the 3d analyst toolbar, and not the 3d editing toolbar.  Almost all the functions  have been removed from the toolbar, so you need access to the Geoprocessing tool equivalent.  To turn on ArcToolbox inside ArcScene, go to Customize > Customize Mode > Commands tab and type ArcToolbox.  Drag the toolbox icon onto any existing toolbar and then proceed to the 3D Analyst toolbox.  Optionally, you can go to Geoprocessing (main menu) > Search for Tools.  If you have indexed your system tools, Search will find the tool you are looking for.  In this case, to convert features to 3d, you want to use the Interpolate Shape tool. 

Hope this helps!

Eric Rice
Development Technical Lead
User Advocacy Group
ESRI Support Services
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
One more thing.  I think you are using a 9.3 tutorial.  The 9.4 tutorials are being rewritten to match the functionality in 9.4.  I believe they will be released later on in the beta process.  Anytime there is a directive given to use a toolbar function, please use the geoprocessing framework to substitute the function.  Everything that was on a toolbar (3d or Spatial) is in ArcToolbox.

Eric
0 Kudos
SherryMcGartland
New Contributor
Thank you, this helps a lot. 

P.S. The tutorial has Release 9.4 under the Excercise #.  I accessed through the help menu within the application, maybe they haven't been updated yet though.
0 Kudos
GregoryBadon
New Contributor
It was while trying to complete the tutorial Exercise #3 when I ran accross this issue.  I was unable to point to Convert and click Features to 3D.  I was able to perform the functions in Arc Catalog, to finish out the tutorial, but never was able to use the tool bar in ArcScene.

Also is there a way to display the toolbox icon within ArcMap or ArcScene?

I also ran into this issue when doing exercise 3. Perhaps the directions in the exercise should be edited to clarify the issue. Thanks.
0 Kudos