3D Models

05-10-2012 02:30 AM
RuiPlácido
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm new member in this forum and need help for use da 3d analyst.
It's possible in Arcgis 10 use directly 3D city models that can be loaded directly into ArcGIS?

I read in ESRI that option is possible.How?

"Easy Access to Existing 3D Data

The Web is rich with GIS data that can be accessed and used immediately. ArcGIS Online is a great place to access basemaps, imagery, elevations, and demographic maps for creating your 3D views. Esri CityEngine and Esri partners such as Pictometry, Blom, TeleAtlas, and VirtualCity provide ready-made 3D city models that can be loaded directly into ArcGIS"

This was read.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
KathrinSchulte-Braucks
New Contributor III
Hello,

I could finally download the tool using IE.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
JenniferPollom
New Contributor
If you are exporting the sketchup model as a .dae, then there are three ways to import it in ArcGIS.  You can create a point and then import the 3d symbology, create an empty multipatch feature class in a geodatabase and then insert the multipatch manually or you can use the Import 3d Files tool. The .dae cannot be added directly, you have to import it one of these ways.

I am using the insert tool as described here.  The dae model comes in and I place it.  It looks great, then I save and it disappears.  Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong?
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Ok so it looks like you have an incident in Support.  That would be my recommendation to look at it. The only caution that I will say is that sometimes due to the memory used in ArcScene, there can be odd display effects until you restart it and release the memory.  Also be advised you will have to insert the multipatch into a file geodatabase to preserve the textures.
0 Kudos