3D Models

05-10-2012 02:30 AM
RuiPlácido
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm new member in this forum and need help for use da 3d analyst.
It's possible in Arcgis 10 use directly 3D city models that can be loaded directly into ArcGIS?

I read in ESRI that option is possible.How?

"Easy Access to Existing 3D Data

The Web is rich with GIS data that can be accessed and used immediately. ArcGIS Online is a great place to access basemaps, imagery, elevations, and demographic maps for creating your 3D views. Esri CityEngine and Esri partners such as Pictometry, Blom, TeleAtlas, and VirtualCity provide ready-made 3D city models that can be loaded directly into ArcGIS"

This was read.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
There is a blog that discusses 3d Virtual Cities here.  Also there is demo showing it in action here. 

What your quote is referring to is that it is possible to purchase data from those companies that can be used to display in ArcScene or ArcGlobe in 3d.  There is information through ArcGIS Online that can be utilized immediately, but for many of the multipatches and 3d objects, you must create them on your own or purchase them from a vendor.
0 Kudos
RuiPlácido
New Contributor
Ok thanks. And like if is possible export google earth 3d for ARCGIS 10?
0 Kudos
RuiPlácido
New Contributor
Hello, I have one building model 3d in sketchup pro 8 and I need export to Arcgis 10. How? I need help. I searched in google but not found nothing.

I need help please.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Rui,

Esri products are only compatible with Google Sketchup v6, but not higher versions.  In Sketchup, you can save your model to a previous version.

Eric
0 Kudos
RuiPlácido
New Contributor
Ok. With google sketchup pro 6 it's possible do this process?
Could put by steps how to do?

Thanks for help.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Rui,

Open your model in Sketchup v 8 and save it to version 6. Go to Sketchup's File Menu > Save As.  Sketchup does not 'Export' to ArcGIS.  ArcGIS simply reads Sketchup files if they are v 6 or earlier (depending on your ArcGIS version).  There are two things you can do.  1) Symbolize a point with your model, which is especially helpful if your model has no spatial reference.  2) Run the Import 3D Files geoprocessing tool to convert the model to a geodatabase multipatch feature class.

See Also:  How to import an existing 3D model into a multipatch feature class

Eric
0 Kudos
RuiPlácido
New Contributor
ok. thanks. But in google sketchup 8 I export model 3d for file Model.dae . I don't understand for that you need  a multipatch and how do I create.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you are exporting the sketchup model as a .dae, then there are three ways to import it in ArcGIS.  You can create a point and then import the 3d symbology, create an empty multipatch feature class in a geodatabase and then insert the multipatch manually or you can use the Import 3d Files tool. The .dae cannot be added directly, you have to import it one of these ways.
0 Kudos
RuiPlácido
New Contributor
Thanks for your help.

This form resulted.
0 Kudos