ArcScene: Problem when Draping Vectors with Vertical Exaggeration > 0

05-08-2012 08:05 AM
TommyDye
New Contributor II
When I attempt to display vectors or rasters over a DEM with VE set to > 0 the end result is a choppy mess. I have tried both standard 2D shapefiles and rasters and get the same results.

Is this a known arcScene issue or is my video card/RAM not powerful enough to dispaly more than one layer in ArcScene?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I would recommend the site that tests your system against minimum requirements for ArcGlobe.  That should give you a basic assessment of your system.  Also bear in mind that ArcScene depends greatly on the available memory, so shut down other programs that may use a lot of memory to improve performance.  There are some other tips for optimization here.

Finally, I recommend using a projected coordinate system if you plan on using the vertical exaggeration.  The geographic coordinate system data seems to create an undesired effect.
0 Kudos
TommyDye
New Contributor II
I was using an equal area projection for some ArcHydro processes. I will try reprojecting everything to UTM and see if the results improve.

Thanks
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
How did the tests go with the evaluation of your system?  Since you are using what is probably a meters based equal area right?  What I was trying to point out is that when you have a coordinate system with decimal degrees as the horizontal unit, ArcScene does not resolve it well.
0 Kudos
TommyDye
New Contributor II
I definatly do not have enough RAM, but I managed to get the scene to work by reprojecting everything to UTM.

thanks for the help.
0 Kudos