Assigning elevation to line from point attributes

09-14-2012 09:05 AM
JaredCollier
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I figured this should be easier than I have found so I thought I would post this before manually entering or using attribute transfer mapping.  I have a feature class with 250+ points that have an elevation field.  These are surveyed points of a pipeline.  What is the most efficient way to create a ZM line for display in ArcScene/Globe?  Currently I am looking at creating individual segments of lines connecting each point and then populating Elevation1 and Elevation2 fields in the line feature class using the attribute transfer mapper.  With 250+ points and 2 clicks per Elevation field that is over 1000 clicks and a lot of time.

Who can shed some light on a better way to do this.

Thanks,
Jared
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WinnKetchum
New Contributor III
If you have access to 3D Analyst extension then try the Feature to 3D by Attribute tool.  It is under 3D Features tool set.  Set your input feature class and output feature class and the Height Field will be your Z-value field in the attribute table of your input feature class.  Hope this works for your data.

Winn
0 Kudos
WinnKetchum
New Contributor III
Sorry, misread your final objective.  I believe once you have the 3D points you can create a line feature by snapping to the points in ArcScene.  I am not sure if there is way to create lines from the points with a tool.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Using the Points to Line tool would probably be the best start, although I am not sure if that will create the ZM as you specified.
0 Kudos
JaredCollier
New Contributor II
Using the Points to Line tool would probably be the best start, although I am not sure if that will create the ZM as you specified.

Jeff, The problem I found with Points to Lines were the results randomly connected points without using a sequential # field.  So manually entering a sequence of numbers is just as time consuming.  I have yet to find a way to calculate a sequential # field on a sorted table.

Thanks for the input!
0 Kudos