Calculating Volumns in ArcScene

03-03-2014 11:53 AM
KathleenMcBride
New Contributor
Hello Everyone

I'm new to ArcView in general and 3D Analyst specifically and I was wondering if there is anyone who can help me figure out how to calculate volumes.  I have .xyz data aquired from a Next Engine 3D scanner.  I have converted it to an ASCII3DT of FeatureClass file in ArcScene but I can't figure out how to obtain a volumn.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
K
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II
I think you need either a raster, TIN, or terrain to run the volume tools. Use the conversion tools in the conversion toolbox to convert to a raster (ASCII to Raster). Then use the Surface Volume tool and give it the elevation you want a volume below or above. If you don't need the entire area, you'll want to clip your raster to only your area of interest.
0 Kudos
KathleenMcBride
New Contributor
Thanks for the info.  When I use the conversion toolbox to convert my ASCII to a raster, I get an error message (ERROR 001143 file is already in use or 010067 error in executing grid expression.) ?  Where have I gone wrong with this?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

K
0 Kudos
PedroFeddema
New Contributor
Your existing surface needs to be changed into a GRID, as well as your future surface.

next you need a polygon countour shape file which is the border of where you want to know the volumes of.

Then you use the CUT-FILL tool in 3D Analyst and you get the volume that needs to be dug and the volume that needs to be filled up with places where it occurs (the know red and blue grid look).
0 Kudos