Extrude Between - Flat Multi-Patches

08-26-2013 01:11 PM
CameronWallace
Occasional Contributor II
So, I talked to ESRI support when I was running 10.1 about this. Just re-ran this in 10.2.

Challenge: extrude volumes between 2 surfaces based on a polygon extent.

Result: Multi-patches come out unclosed, fortunately now the close tool functions as expected and actually does close most of them. Unfortunately the resulting multi-patches appear to be created to extend from the highest point on the top surface to the lowest point on the bottom surface (within the polygon extent) at least some of the time...[ATTACH=CONFIG]27000[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27001[/ATTACH]

In the attached images the partially transparent green blocks are the extruded multi-patches and the grey TIN is the bottom of the two original TIN's (the top is nearly flat)

You can see it illustrated even more clearly in the third image, where the multi-patch nodes etc. are highlighted by a selection.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27002[/ATTACH]

I'll contact tech support again, and post any updates, but I figured I'd throw this problem on the forums too, just in case anyone was relying on these volume calcs.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KhalidDuri1
Esri Contributor
By chance, does your input data have its spatial reference defined?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cameronwallace

Yep. What stumps me is that it seems to work correctly for some parts of the multi-patch, but not for others.
0 Kudos
CameronWallace
Occasional Contributor II
So... tech support has logged the issue as a bug: NIM086364
Hopefully this means we see a fix in an upcoming service pack 🙂
0 Kudos