failure to create raster

03-26-2012 11:46 AM
gaiiopfahadi
New Contributor
hello
first, please excuse me for a bad langage, because I 'm not strong in english

I use ArcGIS 9.3 to map

then for a file I wanted to create the raster with the analyse3D tool : first I created the tin then I want to convert it to raster but I have the message :
failure to create raster file

I tried to resolve this problem but I don't find
do you have an idea to resolve this problem

thank you very much
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
Hi,

Try saving the input TIN as well as the output raster in your local c drive. Also, try to save the raster output as a TIFF format instead of a grid, that is specify the output raster name something like "name.tif".

-Gayu
0 Kudos
gaiiopfahadi
New Contributor
thank you Gaya6337
when I did tingi.tif : it works
but I think the quality of this raster (.tif) is less well than the other

in your opinion, what's the cause for this problem ?
because all students don't have this problem : I think I 'm the only

thanks
0 Kudos
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
thank you Gaya6337
when I did tingi.tif : it works
but I think the quality of this raster (.tif) is less well than the other

in your opinion, what's the cause for this problem ?
because all students don't have this problem : I think I 'm the only

thanks

Hi,

Right click the output TIFF raster in ArcCatalog and do Calculate Statistics on the raster.  In ArcMap, right click the TIFF raster > Properties > Symbology and play with the stretch type( try Standard deviation, min-max or none). Also, you could try to output to an IMG or FGDB raster format to see if that helps. For an IMG format just specify output as 'name.img' or for a file geodatabase raster, you will need to save the output raster in a File Geodatabase.

Regards,
Gayu
0 Kudos
gaiiopfahadi
New Contributor
thank you very much
but I want to know the cause of this problem
because nobody have it

do you have any idea
because I would like resolve the problem for its origin

thanks
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
When you convert the TIN to a raster, be mindful of the cell size when you export it.   Under the 'Sample Distance' option, there is an option to control the 'Cell Size' and it is usually a good practice to examine the default value that is selected when you select the input TIN.  I presume that during your conversion the output looks much more coarse and not as defined as the TIN, hence the display issue. You can modify this value of the cell size, but be advised the smaller the cell size the larger the raster, which may push it to being too large for the format.

Also bear in mind at 9.3, if you generate a .tif, you are still held to the size limit of .tifs.  I would recommend using either an Esri GRID or a .img file to overcome some size limitations.  What may be causing the original error is that the raster being created is not possible, due to processing or format limitations.
0 Kudos