Importing .obj into ArcGIS Pro

09-06-2018 11:35 AM
StevenFernandez
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've have been at it for 2  years now and I can't for the life of me import a 3D model generated from different modeling applications.  I've tried straight from Geomagic, which always has axis issues, no matter what rotation I apply.  I've tried from mesh lab, same issue and I loose the texture in that process.  Anyone have usable import instructions for .obj or 3ds?

Thank you,

Steve  

Tags (3)
22 Replies
StevenFernandez
New Contributor II

Hi Zach,

I had to rotate the model in Sketchup, then bring it back to ArcGIS.  I have had the upside down issue as well. One that was inside out!  I think the rotate tool is new and has not been perfected.  If you don't have Sketchup, you can rotate in Mesh Lab too.  And it's free. 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
StevenFernandez
New Contributor II

As for the location, that depends what coordinates the model has going in.  Does it have the same coordinate values going in?  Or do you have it in a WGS UTM or something like that, then trying to project it on the fly?  That doesn't work.  Either way, you can move, scale, etc with the 3D editor.

0 Kudos
ZachJaffe
New Contributor II

Steven Fernandez

Thanks for your response. Its inside out too! I use Pix4D to process the data and it puts it on a state plane coordinate system, so it should at least be accurately georefrenced. I want to try to avoid using the 3D editor tool to manually move the mesh around, so I don't loose accuracy. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
WilliamMorrish
Esri Contributor

Hello Zach, 

If you are using Pix4D to process the data you should be able to output it in the OGC I3S format. Which is one of the output formats available along with obj, fbx, ply and osbg. I3S slpk format is read naively in ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Earth and can be published directly to an Enterprise or ArcGIS Online organization account. 

ZachJaffe
New Contributor II

Hey William. That worked great!! The only thing I did notice is that my mesh is a WGS 84, while my map is in state plane. It all matches up perfectly, so I'm just assuming there some kind of on the fly projection going on?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
WilliamMorrish
Esri Contributor

Your welcome Zach

Yes the default I3S SLPK output configuration is to publish in WGS 84. As most scene layers are published and viewed in the ArcGIS Online web scene viewer or in ArcGIS Earth

In ArcGIS Pro there is on the fly projection being implemented. in the the web scene viewer though. All of your layers will need to be in the same coordinate space. 

It is possible to chose the output coordinates of your I3S SLPK in the preferences in Pix4D. If you dig a little deeper you will find there are a myriad of ways to customise and optimise your Mesh output. 

Seán William Morrish

| 3D Product Engineer | Data Wrangler, 3D Scene Layers

0 Kudos
ZachJaffe2
New Contributor

William Morrish

Okay, so when exporting as a SLPK, the mesh, by default, is converted to WGS 84, got it.

Also, I am trying to view the .SLPK online so I upload the it to my online account and try to publish it as a hosted layer from there, but keep getting a message  "There was an error publishing the service." Thoughts? Could It be because I am in a ArcPro trial?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
StevenFernandez
New Contributor II

Try using the Export to 3D Web Scene tool in the 3D Analyst/City Engine Tool Box.

0 Kudos
ZachJaffe2
New Contributor

Steven Fernandez

The Export to 3D Web Scene tool seems to only be in ArcMap, not ArcPro.

0 Kudos
WilliamMorrish
Esri Contributor

Depending on the level you have in your online account your publishing rights may be limited. Are you part of an organizational account or have your own personal account with limited publishing privileges?