Prick point through several layers

Jump to solution
01-14-2015 05:35 AM
JoostBrama
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm experimenting with ArcGIS 3D and I have several grids, all with different soils.

These types of soil lying on and under each other and I would like a point pierce through all these layers.

How do I do that?

Any help would be appriciated.

Regards,

Joost

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can do something with a Stacked bar in ArcMap:

StackSoils.png

But this is only posible if for each point the soils have the same order, and there is a column for each soil type and it contains the thickness of the layer. Since that is not realistic, you could do this with extrusión, but it requires multiple points on the same location containing data on soilt ype, depth from and depth to.

Something similar as in slide 11 of this presentation (in Dutch, sorry): Bodemdaling model Provincie Utrecht - Grontmij . I created a featureclass with points for every grid cell and extracted all the values and created a related table holding the soil layer for each point.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker

If it is visibly, you can use a point and extrude the point:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

In case you want to extract the values from the different soil layers (is it GeoTop?), then you can use the tool Extract Multi Values to Points (Spatial Analyst)

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
JoostBrama
New Contributor

Thanks Xander.

The second solution is looking like what I wanted.

Except one thing: Is it possible to create bars (stacked) out of those points which shows how the soil is built up?

For a simplified example see this:Example.jpg

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

You can do something with a Stacked bar in ArcMap:

StackSoils.png

But this is only posible if for each point the soils have the same order, and there is a column for each soil type and it contains the thickness of the layer. Since that is not realistic, you could do this with extrusión, but it requires multiple points on the same location containing data on soilt ype, depth from and depth to.

Something similar as in slide 11 of this presentation (in Dutch, sorry): Bodemdaling model Provincie Utrecht - Grontmij . I created a featureclass with points for every grid cell and extracted all the values and created a related table holding the soil layer for each point.

0 Kudos
JoostBrama
New Contributor

Thanks for all the help (and I'm Dutch as well, so that will work out)

0 Kudos