Running Skyline on LiDAR

06-01-2013 04:30 PM
atatara1
New Contributor
I have trouble running skyline on LiDAR model.  I've used a viewpoint and DSM(including building & vegetation) to run the skyline but gives error 050013-Error decoding feature layer.  How can I fix the problem and run the skyline?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
When you say lidar model, what format is that data in?  I would recommend a raster or TIN/Terrain depending on the size of the data.  Or is the data in a LAS Dataset?
0 Kudos
atatara1
New Contributor
Sorry for confusion. Created DSM from LAS and converted to TIN & raster.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
So you created a TIN and a raster?  The error message indicates that the tool could not resolve the input and that it is invalid.  Is the location on a network? What is the file format of the raster?  Do you have a similarly named file in the same folder or in the table of contents?  Can you open the file in ArcMap? If the raster format is one of the supported formats, then it should work provided the observer is above the ground.  Pay attention to the file format and be sure it is the type listed not just the same extension.
0 Kudos
atatara1
New Contributor
Hi sorry for my late response, I came back to skyline and still unsuccessful running skyline!
I've converted raster to TIN, files are on PC not on a network. Raster format in Tiff. File name is unique and can be opened in ArcMap.Also have a viewpoint above the surface.
Was wondering if you could send me a sample terrain +viewpoint which I can test Skyline and find my problem.
Appreciate your attention and help
Ata
0 Kudos
TimothyKippo
New Contributor III

Hi Ata

Are you sure that your observer points have a z-value?  I got this error when attempting to run a skyline from a 2D point feature but as soon as I ran the 3D analyst "Feature to 3D By Attribute" tool the skyline worked appropriately (assuming you have the height of the observer point as an attribute).

Cheers,

Tim