Spatial Ref and Adding Multipatch to ArcGlobe

Jump to solution
05-30-2012 06:56 AM
JohnMorgan
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I have an existing SketchUp Model which I would like to get into ArcGlobe so that I can see what it looks like for navigating around and exploration.  I have gone through the Import 3D Files tool several times and created the corresponding feature class both within a geodatabase and a standalone shapefile.  However, every time I try to add the created multipatch I get ???cannot add data with unknown spatial reference???.

I thought that ArcGlobe did a on-the-fly projection. Do I need to apply a projection to the resulting multpatch first?  If so, which projection do I use? Hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction.

Thanks,
Derek
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
ArcGlobe sees everything as WGS 1984, what is likely happening is the extents of your multipatch do not fall within the 180 degrees max.  So unless you create a multipatch that is WGS 1984 and the resulting multipatch will be within those limits you will see the error.  As far as the project on the fly, you still have to have a known coordinate system or at least valid extents.  What I would consider is creating an empty multipatch file in the coordinate system you desire. and then use the Insert Multipatch to place the model correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
ArcGlobe sees everything as WGS 1984, what is likely happening is the extents of your multipatch do not fall within the 180 degrees max.  So unless you create a multipatch that is WGS 1984 and the resulting multipatch will be within those limits you will see the error.  As far as the project on the fly, you still have to have a known coordinate system or at least valid extents.  What I would consider is creating an empty multipatch file in the coordinate system you desire. and then use the Insert Multipatch to place the model correctly.
0 Kudos
JohnMorgan
Occasional Contributor
Ahhh this does make sense then.  I didn't know that ArcGlobe was WGS 1984. 

Thanks so much,
Derek
0 Kudos