Topo to Raster with Barriers?

09-14-2010 08:32 AM
JeffPickles
New Contributor III
I have a subsurface geologic structure map (polyline contours with polyline faults) and I need to create a raster from the contour values. Usually I would just use Topo to Raster to accomplish the task, but the problem is those pesky faults. The drop is too abrupt for an interpolated slope. I need a clean break.

I've used the Raster Interpolation > Spline With Barriers tool on many occasions with point data and similar polyline faults. It works swimmingly, but unfortunately my input data this time is a polyline contour layer. Is there a way to get that "Barrier" functionality with the Topo to Raster tool?

Alternatively, is there another way to create this raster that I'm thus far oblivious to?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KieranBlacker
New Contributor
Hi Jeff

I'm aware that its been 2 years since this post... but did you manage to solve this problem? I've got a similar situation, and I'm pretty stumped as to how to get a grid from the contours!
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
In ArcGIS 10.1 the Topo to Raster tool was enhanced and you can now use the 'Cliff' option when setting the type of layer for input.  It should work like a 'barrier' or 'fault'.

Kieran,
If you have contour data you can use Topo to Raster, or if it is very large (since Topo has some limits) you could build a TIN/Terrain dataset, then convert to raster using one of the conversion tools.

What problems are you encountering, if any?

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
KieranBlacker
New Contributor
In ArcGIS 10.1 the Topo to Raster tool was enhanced and you can now use the 'Cliff' option when setting the type of layer for input.  It should work like a 'barrier' or 'fault'.

Kieran,
If you have contour data you can use Topo to Raster, or if it is very large (since Topo has some limits) you could build a TIN/Terrain dataset, then convert to raster using one of the conversion tools.

What problems are you encountering, if any?

Best,
Eric

Eric,

Sorry this has been a year since a reply was given. I indeed solved the issue using your reply, but I figured it out in the software. Thanks for the reply all the same.

I had no problem gridding the contours afterwards, and have since used this method a fair bit in gridding faulted reservoirs and structure maps for geology.

Thanks once again, and sorry for the super late reply.

Kieran
0 Kudos