Using 'Add Z Information' Tool in Modelbuilder

08-16-2013 11:42 AM
FranklinEbner
New Contributor
Hi all,

I'm attempting to create a model to automatically create 30% sloped lines.  I have come to a roadblock, though:

I need to add the z-elevations of a point shapefile as an attribute. I thought that the 'Add Z Information' tool would be perfect.  The problem is, when I use the points data as an input in the model, it does not recognize it as a point and in the 'Output Property' box there is no option for just 'Z'.  I've tried setting preconditions but that hasn't helped.  It seems like it's not recognizing it's a point file as it's giving me other options for elevations (Z_MIN, Z_MAX....) but not just 'Z' which otherwise comes up when you want to add z information for point data.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KhalidDuri1
Esri Contributor
It looks like you might have a multipoint feature and not a single point feature. The options you get with multipoint features are Z Min, Z Max, Z Mean, & Point Count. You can create single point features from the multipoints using the Multipart to Singlepart tool.
0 Kudos
FranklinEbner
New Contributor
Thanks Khalid for the response, unfortunately converting it to a singlepart feature did not work.  I think it's something weird in modelbuilder because when I bring the exact same shapefile into ArcMap to use the 'Add Z Information' tool, the option to add only Z values is there (no z_min, z_max....)

Is there something I should be setting in Modelbuilder to tell that tool the data is a point data because it seems to default into thinking it's not?
0 Kudos
KhalidDuri1
Esri Contributor
Good morning Franklin,

I'm only seeing the behavior you're describing occur when I connect a multipoint feature class.  With a single point feature, I see the Z option.  What version of the software are you using?
0 Kudos
FranklinEbner
New Contributor
Hi Khalid.  I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1.  I'm not sure if my previous post was clear but the data I'm trying to add the 'z' attributes to is a product of a previous process in the model in Modelbuilder.  I've attached a screenshot of the tool window to show that there is no 'Z' option available.

Again, this data can be used with this tool outside of Modelbuilder, which is only adding to the frustration haha.

*Edit* And despite the name of the shapefile in the screenshot, it is indeed a singlepart (Point) feature class.
0 Kudos
KhalidDuri1
Esri Contributor
Hmm... which tool's output is being passed into the Add Z Information tool? I suspect there may be an issue with how the preceeding tool's output layer definition may be getting updated.
0 Kudos
FranklinEbner
New Contributor
The output being directed into the 'Add Z Information' tool is the output of the 'Interpolate Shape' tool.  I had to run this tool to convert the standard point data to 3D data.

There are also a few other tools that precede the 'Add Z Information' including buffer and polyline to point conversion.
0 Kudos
anotgrass_cosprings
New Contributor II

I know this is an old thread, but can't find any other post about this.  Were you able to figure this out Franklin?  I am running into the same issue.

0 Kudos