well log data into 3D analyst

03-28-2012 01:41 PM
pbDudley
New Contributor III
Hello

I have well log data, that uses a directional survey to show its location in the ground. It gives depth, bed and and bed angle

Is there a way for me to bring this into 3D analyst or use arscene to view these well logs

Also, if i can figure out how to get the lat/long for each depth, how would i bring this in?

I guess my final output would be these well logs being shown in 3D protruding downward and at certain depths, a surface showing pertinent information

Im a geologist, and have been researching this just having a  hard time. Thank you
Tags (1)
4 Replies
TarunJaiswal
Esri Contributor
Greetings!

You may want to check the following 3D GIS Template:

Visualize and Edit 3D Borehole Data in ArcScene

It might be of some help.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
You can't do this in ArcGIS. Well you can if you have a solid understanding of programming with ArcObjects and a hole lot of time on your hands. The few addins and plugins that people have developed are mostly for straight-down holes.  What you need is a drillhole managment software. Geosoft make an ArcGIS plugin called Target for ArcGIS.  Personally i prefer the full version of the software but the plugin works too.  The geological software/drillhole management is designed to import downhole data in various formats (XYZ, Azimuth-Dip-Distance, etc.) Surveys (the drillhole survey data) is required to create tracers or 3D lines. (this is the XYZ or Azimuth-Dip-Distance data, usually associated with a hole-id) Next you need the attribute data (Geology, Lithology, Assays, borehole logs etc.)  This data usually contains the Hole-ID, the attribute itself and FROM and TO information.  After import the software associates the downhole tracer information with the FROM-TO attributes.  Typically this kind of software allows you to analyze the subsurface data in 3D and may allow you to create various solid objects, geology, lithology and meshes from the drill data.  You can also symbolize the downloholes using the various attributes and create geologic cross sections at whatever location you want.

This is an area where ArcGIS is lacking greatly despite the fact that all the building blocks exist (ArcObjects).  Geosoft is an ESRI partner (I think) so you can see what is possible with the Target addin.

Unfortunately, most of this type of software is quite expensive. Even the Target for ArcGIS addin is pricey.  The standalone Target by geosoft (very compatible with ESRI data type even MXD) goes for $6,500 CAD. More complex software such as GEMS or the very excellent Leapfrog Hydro and Leapfrog Mining are extremely expensive.
0 Kudos
HattieIrvin
New Contributor
You may want to check the following 3D GIS Template
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
@Elsie93 - Did you mean to add a link to the "3D GIS Template"?