How many GIS people in your PSAP?

07-24-2014 11:14 AM
TravisTyson
New Contributor II

I work alone but would love to have another person to help with the work load. So, how many are there of you in your PSAP?

Tags (3)
6 Replies
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Travis,

Our arrangement is different.  I support our PSAP along with all of our other city departments.  I have a GIS tech that does most of the data editing.  Yakima has a population of approximately 93k. 

Regards,

Tom

TravisTyson
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Tom!  I'll add that our other county and city GIS folks have been awesome to work with and very supportive of my efforts. So while I work as the sole GIS guy here at the PSAP, I am not truly alone. The Ada Co. population is just under 410k. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to seeing how other PSAPs are staffed or supported like in your case.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Just me.  I contract to two psaps; in one I manage a distributed sde database and the various jurisdictions take care of their piece of the pie.  At least for the most part.  In the other, I work fairly closely with the county gis team and we exchange edits as needed.

Three counties served are Salt Lake, Weber, and Morgan.  Somewhere in the vicinity of a million people, and a bunch of agencies.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

I think the answers will depend on how your county/city is structured.

I maintain the address/street/city/landmark/esn files for the whole county. Within my county there are 11 PSAP's (Sheriff/Cities), I update all their mapping positions. Our county has around 550k residence.

0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III

Here in Bay County, FL the central GIS department for the county supports the PSAP with data but there is a GIS person dedicated to EOC at their facility who handles most of their needs on a day to day basis.

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

Manatee County Florida supports PSAP with data, and we have one dedicated GIS person for all of Public Safety (including using FME to load data into intergraph for 911, and all Public Safety mapping needs). Central GIS manages SDE and AGS for rest endpoints for WebEOC.

0 Kudos