Sketch tool keyboard commands

Jump to solution
12-18-2022 12:21 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

I am working on making our application that is made with the JS API keyboard accessible. I see that there are some built in keyboard commands for adding vertices when sketching but I noticed some issues with it.

To replicate:

1. go to this sandbox 
  2. start a polygon sketch
  3. You can theoretically use the `f` key to add a vertex, but you can't do this until you've moved the mouse around on the map
  4. once you have added a vertex using `f` key, you can't add another one until you have moved the mouse again

Are there any plans to make this fully keyboard accessible?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoseBanuelos
Esri Contributor

@Anonymous User ,

This is a bug that was introduced at version 4.21. This was just unfortunately not caught earlier, so I apologize for that. I have logged an internal bug, so hope we can get this resolved in our next release. If you change the version to version 4.20 in the sandbox link you provided, you can see it working. 

Thanks,

Jose

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@Anonymous User Steps 3-4 seem to be as-designed in the sandbox app. Perhaps there are additional properties to set keyboard navigation that works alongside the sketch tools.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
JoseBanuelos
Esri Contributor

@Anonymous User ,

This is a bug that was introduced at version 4.21. This was just unfortunately not caught earlier, so I apologize for that. I have logged an internal bug, so hope we can get this resolved in our next release. If you change the version to version 4.20 in the sandbox link you provided, you can see it working. 

Thanks,

Jose

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Jose, that's great to hear

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@JoseBanuelos Quick follow up question - do you know if there are plans to make editing more keyboard accessible as well, e.g. being able to select vertices and move them etc?

0 Kudos
JoseBanuelos
Esri Contributor

@Anonymous User ,
This is a great question. Unfortunately, selecting and updating vertices is not very keyboard accessible with our API at the moment. This is good feedback for us to to explore this avenue further. Do you happen to have a use case for this enhancement request that you could share with us? Are you developing an application that would really benefit from this? I understand the accessibility need, we just like to also have real life scenarios to tie to these enhancement requests.

Appreciate your feedback,

Jose

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@JoseBanuelos thanks for the update! We are creating a product that we want to meet accessibility guidelines so that anyone can use and benefit it. I am currently exploring building my own keyboard shortcuts but it would be even better if this was available out of the box.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JoseBanuelos just wondering if you knew if this bug was going to be resolved in 4.26?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
JoseBanuelos
Esri Contributor

This has been resolved in 4.27!

0 Kudos