Conversion from long and lat to XY

Jump to solution
02-23-2015 03:51 PM
BayarmagnaiMunkhjargal
New Contributor III

Anyone know how to convert coordinates from UTM Zone 18N NAD 1983 to Lat/long NAD1983?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinJohnson2
New Contributor III

If you need to convert a small number of points, you can use the tools on the US National Geodetic Survey site:

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/utm_getgp.prl

There is also a link to download an *.exe file that you can run locally, but it looks like it's an ancient application.  I suspect there is a more modern way to do it, possibly involving the GDAL gdaltransform utility

GDAL: gdaltransform

If you have the locations in a point feature class, you could reproject the feature class to Lat/Lon and then recalculate the geometry values in the attribute table using the new coordinate system.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JustinJohnson2
New Contributor III

If you need to convert a small number of points, you can use the tools on the US National Geodetic Survey site:

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/utm_getgp.prl

There is also a link to download an *.exe file that you can run locally, but it looks like it's an ancient application.  I suspect there is a more modern way to do it, possibly involving the GDAL gdaltransform utility

GDAL: gdaltransform

If you have the locations in a point feature class, you could reproject the feature class to Lat/Lon and then recalculate the geometry values in the attribute table using the new coordinate system.

0 Kudos
BayarmagnaiMunkhjargal
New Contributor III

Hi Justin

Thanks bunch. I put my question in reverse. Sorry for that.

I wanna see the extent of difference in geocoding results performed by

ArcGis and Texas A&M Geocoding Services.

I have 500 geocoded addresses using Texas A&M Geocoding Services in

Latitude/Longitude NAD1983. Now I want to convert it to

(UTM_1983_Zone_18N). So that I can calculate the distance between two UTMs

using excel. Second geocoded addresses in (UTM_1983_Zone_18N) was created

with ArcGis 10.2.

Maggie