ArcServer layers on the fly and security

10-28-2011 07:52 AM
karldailey
New Contributor
i have two questions, #1 is simple: is there a way to control who accesses my arcgis server layers on the web?

#2 what is the best way to do choropleth maps on the fly but cache them so that the 2nd time they are not having to be drawn again.  I can cache individual layers and such, but the problem is the database is updated often, so i dont want to have to publish a layer for every new set of data/year.

currently, the only way i think i can accomplish this is query a database and draw polygons on the layer geographies based off the value in the database that matches the geography.  this takes a long long time for geographies such as blockgroups though, and the data isnt cached obviously.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
HarshalShegokar
New Contributor III
i have two questions, #1 is simple: is there a way to control who accesses my arcgis server layers on the web?

#2 what is the best way to do choropleth maps on the fly but cache them so that the 2nd time they are not having to be drawn again.  I can cache individual layers and such, but the problem is the database is updated often, so i dont want to have to publish a layer for every new set of data/year.

currently, the only way i think i can accomplish this is query a database and draw polygons on the layer geographies based off the value in the database that matches the geography.  this takes a long long time for geographies such as blockgroups though, and the data isnt cached obviously.

Hi
First you can specify the users that you would like to allow access the service may it be service published on arcgis online or using archis server. When you share the data or map on arcgis online you can specify the group that can consume the service. These services,layers are not  accessible by any other user that are not in group. You must also be aware that with arcgis 10.1 you no longer need arcgis server to publish the service. With arcgis server you can make the service as secured so that user having tokens can only access the service. Need less to say a service published using local up can be accessed only with in the network and need for other users to have access those services you need to generate a global up and then share the link with the users.
0 Kudos
HarshalShegokar
New Contributor III
Hi
First you can specify the users that you would like to allow access the service may it be service published on arcgis online or using archis server. When you share the data or map on arcgis online you can specify the group that can consume the service. These services,layers are not  accessible by any other user that are not in group. You must also be aware that with arcgis 10.1 you no longer need arcgis server to publish the service. With arcgis server you can make the service as secured so that user having tokens can only access the service. Need less to say a service published using local up can be accessed only with in the network and need for other users to have access those services you need to generate a global up and then share the link with the users.

Hi Karl,
First you can specify the users that you would like to allow access the service may it be service published on arcgis online or using arcgis server. When you share the data or map on arcgis online you can specify the group that can consume the service. These services/layer are not  accessible by any other user that are not in group. You must also be aware that with arcgis 10.1 you no longer need arcgis server to publish the service. With arcgis server you can make the service as secured so that user having tokens can only access the service. Need less to say a service published using local ip can be accessed only with in the network and for other users to have access to these services you need to generate a global ip and then share the link with the users.
0 Kudos