Drawing a circle around a point

01-18-2013 04:25 PM
TomRauch
New Contributor
Hi, I would like some help understanding how to draw a circle showing the perceived radius of an earthquake (from a value held in my database) with the epicenter at the center of the circle.  For example, an earthquake with a magnitude of 4.6 could have a perceived radius of 50+ miles.  I would like to show that radius as a colored circle with no fill, if that makes sense.

Thanks, Tom
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
TomRauch
New Contributor
Hi Robert, I did look at the buffer sample but am still stumped.  I am not sure what the 'polylines' refer to in the buffer.geometries lines, I suspect these are important but not sure how to use them to drive a circle with a radius that comes from a variable I set.

Thanks, Tom
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Tom,

If you look at the sample it is buffering polylines, that is what the lines are about. There is not a specific sample that buffers points. But the concept is identical just feed the project function MapPoint geometry instead of a polyline. You can also download and look at specific code for buffering point geometries from my point buffer widget.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a950162cd17a4acc985132d40adfe38f
0 Kudos
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor
Tom,

Not sure if this is exactly what you need, but attached is an ActionScript library that shows various methods for drawing a circle on the client using radius as an input property.

-Andy
0 Kudos
stevemclaughlin
New Contributor III
This is great, thanks Andy!
0 Kudos