Hyperlink File Icon

12-01-2011 09:04 AM
BarryHill1
New Contributor
The Deputy CEO and the Engineering Director of my organization loves the look and feel of the Flexviewer but for one issue. And that is the hyperlink. When the user clicks the hyperlink button in the application it displays, in a new url window, the contents of the (virtual) folder on the server just as windows displays it. The content(s) are pdf scanned document(s) that displays the name of the file, i.e. FileName.pdf, but he wants an icon to appear representing the named document. He doesn't like the look of a generic file name being displayed. He's looking for a 'WOW' factor, practical be darned. I am in Windows 7.0 and I always use the 'details' option when viewing contents of a folder.

I have attached an image of what they see.

My first response to them is that this is a Windows issue and not a GIS/Flex/ESRI issue. But that didn't carry over too well (no chuckles please). I told them I would look into it. So my questions are...

Is there way to change the icon of a file name in Windows without corrupting the file itself?
Can a pdf file be represented as an Icon other than the standard Adobe Icon?
Does Flash Player have a way of handling this?
Is this an IT issue?
Is this an ISS issue?
Can this be done?

I am not a developer so my resources (brain) are limited. Thanks for any suggestions and I will also ask ESRI if they know of a solution.

If anything I can use this as documentation that this issue cannot be resolved and it is what it is.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies