Is Flex going away?

08-21-2014 04:26 PM
WillHughes1
Occasional Contributor II

So from what I have been reading recently, it appears that the Flex 3.6 API is the last release of the Flex API - meaning that there will be no future Flex API releases. It seems like ESRI is pushing the ArcGIS JavaScript API and their own ArcGIS Online web application. Yeah, I get it. JavaScript is THE coding language of choice on the web, and HTML 5 makes Flash obsolete, plus JavaScript is a better platform for mobile devices - no flash plugin required. But my concern is that the Flex API community is so huge that it makes me question whether the Flex API will go away for good or not. Is there any discussion about a third party (or open source) taking over the Flex API? Aren't there many folks out there who are too invested in Flex and thus a transition to JavaScript would be a huge endeavor, not to mention a waste of a good thing? When you compare the Flex Viewer to the JavaScript ...wait there is no JS Viewer, so you cannot make a comparison with something that doesn't exist. The Flex Viewer model is priceless don't you think - turn key out of the box Viewer, no coding required ..only configuration, and a deluge of downloadable widgets that are plug-and-play. So I don't mind switching to JavaScript but ESRI needs to produce a JS Viewer/model which is similar to the Flex Viewer. Unless ESRI's intentions are to force us to use the ArcGIS online viewer. Anyways I would like to hear your thoughts on this. What's the future look like for the Flex API / Flex Viewer?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MattSheehan
Occasional Contributor III

Yep, Flex is slowly going away. Its still has an active open source group at flex.org, but Esri have moved their focus with the rest of the Web development world to HTML5 and Javascript. The new esri web application builder, which is soon to be released, will likely be replacing the Flex Viewer for ArcGIS. It is a super application, with easy to add and build widgets. Flex still may have a place in the mobile world, since it is far easier to generate a hybrid mobile app with Flex than resort to PhoneGap.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Will,

As Matt has said yes ESRI's support of Flex is going away, flex itself is NOT going away until or if browsers quit supporting plugins like Flash Player.

Esri is already working on the release of Web AppBuilder like Matt mentioned and developers like myself has already started developing custom widgets for it. Web AppBuilder is scheduled for it's initial release when ArcGIS 10.3 comes out. The Web AppBuilder closely resembles the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex (internally and the basis of widgets and extensibility).

Here are a couple of Groups for WAB

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS

Web App Builder Custom Widgets

BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor

Will, version 3.6 is not the last release. We're planning a version 3.7 this fall (which might be the last version).

See the "Esri’s Roadmap for Web Developers | ArcGIS Blog‌".

Esri will continue to provide technical support of the 3.x Web APIs and Viewers until June 1, 2016.  See the "ArcGIS Web Mapping Product Life Cycle Support Status document at http://downloads.esri.com/support/product%20life%20cycle/online_gis/ArcGISWebMappingAPIs_PLC.pdf for more details.

WillHughes1

Thanks for the feedback Matt, Robert, and Bjorn. So as I understand it WebApp Builder (WAB) will require Portal or an ArcGIS Online subscription? Both of these are paid subscriptions or licensed so WAB will not be available to those of us who do not have Portal or an ArcGIS Online subscription? If this is correct, ESRI is locking out developers who don't work for an organization with these subscriptions/products.

RE: Flex API 3.7. ESRI will retire the Flex API at 3.7 but will the API  be turned over to the Open Source community for continued development after ESRI retires it?

I hope ESRI comes up with a better name than WebApp Builder.

Thanks.

Will

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Will,

WAB is still in Beta but, so things can change yet. If you have active maintenance with esri ArcGIS products like ArcGIS Basic, standard, or Advanced, then you already have an ArcGIS Online Organizational account.

Also check this thread out Do you have to use AGOL to use WAB?

0 Kudos
WillHughes1

Thanks Robert. I didn't know that an ArcGIS Online Organizational account comes with ArcGIS Desktop maintenance. All this time I've been missing out on all the great content on AGOL. Good to know!

0 Kudos