is it me or is the Print task kind of flakey?

06-26-2013 10:47 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: coldfusionPaul

our app has a concept of a "base map" which is basically any tiled map service or image service users want to overlay their vector data on (usually topo, elevation, aerial photos or satellite imagery). if we use ESRI supplied data (eg world imagery) these will always print. however if we use a local base map more often than not these will not print, though they display just fine.

while i was digging into this issue i came across a situation where the print task did indeed print a local base map, but the wrong one (see attached, please ignore extent/scale differences). 

this is causing a lot of head scratching. any ideas?

thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PaulHastings1
Occasional Contributor
digging a bit deeper it seems that the cases where the "base map" isn't printing is simply that the wrong base map is getting printed & it's extent isn't the same as the current map extent. 

some weird server issue?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rzufelt

Yes, the print task is kind of flakey.  however, I have not heard/seen this one before :cool:

I have 11 different basemaps created from local data (most of them cached) that are in the same wkid as my FV app.

Because of this, if/when I bring in an ESRI basemap, I have to load it as dynamic so that it can re-project on the fly.

All of the basemaps, regardless of source, print in the appropriate place.

Have you made sure that the data being used for your basemaps service(s) has a coordinate system defined?

R_

Now, if I could only figure out why the Tabloid/Landscape template is the only one that will display a legend for more than one visible layer???????
0 Kudos
PaulHastings1
Occasional Contributor
yup, all the services have coordinate systems defined. its a real head scratcher. the client's opening a ticket w/ESRI.

we're not particularly happy w/the legend bits for anything complex. i'm looking at building our own & then merging it w/the print task produced PDF (we're using coldfusion on the backend & that sort of thing is more or less built-in).
0 Kudos