Scale Bar not visible after change in Basemap layers

08-07-2011 01:32 AM
BharathiChandran
New Contributor III
I have removed all ESRI basemap layers and included our own layers. The maps are showing up properly. But the scalebar does not show up properly (Only the left end vertical line of the scale bar is visible).
However when I remove the basemap layers and retain the operational layers, the scale bar is visible and is perfectly fine.

In basemaps, I am using image services with imageformat as png.

Any clues??

Bharathi
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
The scalebar without distances is usually related to spatial references and/or units not being available to the Map component.

What's the URL of your initial <layer>?
What "Units" and "Spatial Reference" are in the service directory metadata for your initial basemap?
0 Kudos
BharathiChandran
New Contributor III
Thanks Bjorn for the response.

There is no scalebar displayed (only a single vertical line to the left end of the scale bar location)when there is a basemap layer, not a bar without distances.

url of the initial layer used is "http://appsrvr/ArcGIS/rest/services/ImageServices/Topo_Images/ImageServer".
This has a Spatial Reference: 32640 which is UTM 40N (WGS84).
Although the units are not explicitly mentioned, the extents suggest they are in Meters.

There is one thing that I hadn't mentioned earlier - There are 3 basemap layers out of which two are put  together as a single basemap using the same "name". However when I remove those 2 layers and use only the layer (mentioned above), the scale bar does show up properly. When I introduce back even one of those layers then the Scale bar disappears!

Even for that basemap layer the scalebar showed up only when the imageformat was changed from "png" to "png32". Is there any particular imageFormat I should be setting?

Suggestions please..

Bharathi.
0 Kudos
BharathiChandran
New Contributor III
Thanks for pointing out about the units.

I just created a simple MapService and introduced it as the first basemap layer. Bingo! It worked.

However I would still like to know how do I use only Image services and still have the map scale bar appear properly.

Bharathi
0 Kudos