slow response on large spatial queries

Jump to solution
06-12-2014 01:11 PM
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Purpose:  i'm trying to perform a spatial query (user defined polygon) on a large area on the map; have the results return in my datagrid and also highlight the records on the map.

I'm using arcgis10.1 and the latest flex api.

I have built a geoprocessing service to process the query and return the results.  The service is set to asyncronous with a limit of 50,000 records.  The model works perfectly and fairly quickly, and the results are returned in the "arcgisserver/directories/arcgisjobs/myfolder/geo_process folder.  I can view the results in arc map and can monitor when the results are created.

The flex page is working because if i limit the size of the area, i will get the results returned back to the flex page.  As i increase the spatial area the returned results take longer and longer (for obvious reasons); eventually it reaches a point where nothing is returned.

The limit to the amount of records returned, seems to be around 400 or 500 records.  This seems to be a small limited amount for a geoprocessing service.

It seems to me, that the results being returned are somehow being limited......a server setting??  flex setting??  map service setting??  Any thoughts out there???

I've tried setting the geoprocess service as "show map results", limit record numbers, etc....  Also, the network being used is internal and I have over a 100mb/sec intranet speed.

Sincerely,
Eddie Q.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
It took some effort to find the solution in some buried ESRI documentation.

Within your arcgis server setup there are two default settings:
1.  App server maximum heap size = 256mb
2.  SOC maximum heap size = 64mb

I change these from 256 to 1024, and 64 to 512.  I can now do spatial queries with large datasets and have the info returned.  What i'm not sure about is how the changes will affect the server in terms of memory or resources.  If anyone can enlighten me further on this I would appreciate it.

Thanx,

Eddie Q.
Okaloosa County
Property Appraiser
GIS Coordinator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Eddie,

There is a setting on your geoprocessing service in the parameters that sets the maximum features to return:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Parameters/005700000080000000/

Have you changed that?

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Anthony,

Thank you for the input.  Yes, I've already adjusted this setting a few times.  Currently it's set at 50,000, and the queries I'm performing will be far less than this number.  During testing, the most records which should be returned are about 15,000.

thanx,
Eddie
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
It took some effort to find the solution in some buried ESRI documentation.

Within your arcgis server setup there are two default settings:
1.  App server maximum heap size = 256mb
2.  SOC maximum heap size = 64mb

I change these from 256 to 1024, and 64 to 512.  I can now do spatial queries with large datasets and have the info returned.  What i'm not sure about is how the changes will affect the server in terms of memory or resources.  If anyone can enlighten me further on this I would appreciate it.

Thanx,

Eddie Q.
Okaloosa County
Property Appraiser
GIS Coordinator
0 Kudos