Featureservice, Edit question/

08-15-2012 02:15 PM
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
We will be using AGS 10.0x or 10.1 (most probably 10.1) for our REST services.

Development plan is to let users modify a points layer (both geometry and attributes) on a silverlight client using API 3.0 or higher with screens developed using VS 2010 sp1 or higher.

we will be using some feature server services from REST/10.1 - I was told that the layer exposed through the map document needs to be registered and versioned in sde.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/silverlight-api/samples/start.htm#EditToolsExplicitSave
As a developer, I will use ESRI's feature service edit functions (above link) for save/cancel from the samples website to do the following:
I had promised them that they would be able to modify the selected point feature (as shown by the samples in the link above) by typing X, Y from GPS coordinates (or copy/paste from their ascii files) into specific lat long attribute columns and move the point by updating the geometry/shape column (SQL server geom object SQLGeometry::POINT (x, y), iWKID) or whatever is the syntax.

After the edit is satisfactory, the modified feature record will be committed using FeatureEdit sessions functions of ESRI API 3.x (similar to indicated in above link).

I want to be sure that i promised them something do-able - and not the moon.

regards
ravi.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
Above assumptions are valid per ESRI support staff member.  My customer has hi-level support with ESRI and they were kind to respond immediately.

FOLLOWING IS TRUE per ESRI:
if there are X Y double/float/ columns, programmatically, I can check for changes and update SQLGeometry::POINT (newX, newy), iWKID) on the feature record and use ESRI API 3.0 to update fdature layer shud take it to the new geometry.

The staff member also indicated that with 10.1, it is possible to store those new edits to a different version for some one else to QA before posting / re-conciling the changes to default version.

regards
ravi.
0 Kudos
JenniferNery
Esri Regular Contributor
FeatureLayer has a GdbVersion property, which allows you to view/edit a specific geodatabase version.

You can use any of the editing tools from Editor to EditorWidget if you wanted the geometry edits to be done interactively. You can also use EditGeometry, if you want more control of when edits are started/completed. If you will be working with point geometry, the EditGeometry sample demonstrates how this can be done outside EditGeometry. 

graphic.Geometry = new MapPoint(newX, newY, spatialRef);

You can also use GeometryService or WebMercator (depending on layer and map spatial reference) toproject X,Y input values to your feature service spatial reference.
0 Kudos