Geocoding in Silverlight

02-06-2012 11:43 AM
AlexDeVine
New Contributor III
Hi Forumteers,

I am developing a web application and have run into a wall. The web application is time-enabled to show accounts of small pox in mostly the North American region from 1520 to 1848. This webapp would benefit from access to a geocoding (and zoom) service like Bing, Google and ESRI offers, but each of those options has a wrinkle: It is my understanding that Google geocoding service is only supposed to be in a Google API, the Bing geocoder requires a bing maps imagery background in their terms of use and the ESRI geocoder fails if you do not enter a numeric address. The scale of my map precludes requiring the entry of a numeric address to get to an area (as it seems ESRI requires), and the temporal aspect of the map makes putting  modern imagery and roads (what Bing only offers) underneath the data undesirable and the limitations of being restricted to a Google API is why I started developing in Silverlight to begin with. So you can see, I am a little stymied.

Does anyone have any ideas for a solution for me? How can I put a search field on my web app where I can simply have a user enter "Chicago, IL" and have the app zoom to the region with the restrictions I have? I am developing with C# code-behind with Silverlight 4 for an educational institution with VS 2010 if any of that info is relevant. Please keep in mind that I am relatively new to coding and learn best from example. If you know of any examples of your approach where I can look at the code, I would be mush obliged!

Thanks for any help, in advance

Alex DeVine
0 Kudos
0 Replies