Secure services, proxy.ashx and .NET 3.5 vs. 4.0

04-11-2011 12:05 PM
StevenSchuldt
New Contributor
Greetings,

I believe this has been posted about before, but I didn't find a clear answer.  My issue is that using the basic proxy.ashx handler with basic authentication on Secured ArcGIS services (as advised in http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisserver/apis/silverlight/help/Secure_services.htm), it works fine under the .net framework 3.5, however if I switch the web app which hosts the silverlight app to the 4.0 framework the same requests directly through the proxy.ashx handler will return a 499 Unauthorized access.

I admit there is more debugging that I could do before posting here, but I'm currently waiting on some configuration work to be done on one of our servers before I can proceed with that, and was hoping somebody had a quick answer.

So basically, does anyone have a proxy.ashx handler working with basic authentication and the .net framework 4.0?  If so, was there any configuration you needed to do which was different than the default.

I guess I should also note that I'm attempting to use this in a WCF enabled silverlight application with Telerik Open Access ORM, which did make configuration changes to the web app, but I was hoping somebody might know the exact setting causing the issue without me going to hunt it down.  One can always hope 😉

Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I think that you are going to have to dig some more.

We use SL in conjunction with an ASP.NET 4.0 web application which hosts a proxy using custom authentication.
0 Kudos
StevenSchuldt
New Contributor
I fixed it, though it wasn't a problem with anything except my setup.  If anyone is experiencing a similar issue, our IIS server somehow had regained Anonymous Access privileges for the rest services virtual directory, despite the services being secured at the ArcGIS Server Manager level.   This isn't the first time I've dealt with "creeping permissions" on this server, I guess they like to keep me on my toes.

As far as why it works in 3.5 with that configuration but not 4.0, I'll leave that to the smart people 🙂
0 Kudos