Sliverlight Version for ArcGIS 9.3.1 and Development Environment?

01-20-2011 07:13 AM
ClaibornPhillips
New Contributor III
These maybe grossly elementary questions but I have to ask as I haven???t been about to find clear answers anywhere else;

I???m using ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 and Visual Studio 2008; what version of Silverlight do I install?  From everything I???ve read version 4 is setup for VS 2010, not VS 2008.

I have Visual Studio on my PC which also has ArcGIS Desktop, but our ArcGIS Server is located on the server machine, will I need to install Visual Studio there in order to develop web application, or can I deploy the finished site to the server???s IIS when complete?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor
From everything I�??ve read version 4 is setup for VS 2010, not VS 2008.

Right.
But note that you can use SL4+ArcGIS SL2.1+VS2010  with ArcGIS server 9.3.1.
So if you can upgrade your development PC, I would suggest this configuration.

If for any reason, you can't install VS2010 on your desktop, you would have to use ArcGIS SL 1.2 with SL3.

ArcGIS Server is located on the server machine, will I need to install Visual Studio there in order to develop web application, or can I deploy the finished site to the server�??s IIS when complete?

You don't need Visual Studio on the Web Server. You can deploy when your application is ready.
0 Kudos
ClaibornPhillips
New Contributor III
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

One more follow-up question for you if I may.  If I decide to stick with the VS2008 configuration, can I incorporate Visual Web Developer 2008 Express (the free version) and still make use of ESRI�??s tools for web mapping services, or do I have to purchase the professional version of Web Developer?   I assume the answer to that question will be the same for the VS2010 + Visual Web Dev 2010.

Thanks again for your help,
0 Kudos