Text Boxes Not Appearing in Stacked Panel Infographic

Jump to solution
11-17-2023 02:23 PM
ArielLow2146
Occasional Contributor II

I created a custom infographic and created a dashboard using the custom infographic template.

I modified the url to add the url parameter to view the infographic panels in a stack, so the URL now looks like:

https://bao.arcgis.com/InfographicsPlayer/BAMobile/10.3/reportPlayer/InfographicFromResource.html#re...&viewMode=panels-in-stack

The url parameter works but all the text elements I inserted are no longer visible in stack mode. Is there a special way I need to add text elements to get them to show up in the stack view mode?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Hi @ArielLow2146 Thanks for reaching out with this question. We will consider improving options for title formatting in the future for background fills and for using multiple lines, for example. 

In addition to the details that Fasil has provided, you can consider the following in your infographics design for stack mode:

• With Stack mode, any elements that overlap with a panel are picked up and displayed. So to help with your goal, you could add a free floating element that overlaps with a Chart panel.
  • For your goal, you can use the Title setting within the Chart options to create the text. Then, add a shape element and move it behind the chart title.
  • This method can be used to add additional elements to panels like text and shapes. 

Here are the steps I used for your goal, as an example:

1. In exsiting chart panel, add a title

CherylHagevik_0-1701211726009.png

2. Add element > Images > Shapes and icons

CherylHagevik_1-1701211820559.png

3. Search for and add a shape

CherylHagevik_2-1701211850668.png

4. Move and resize shape > Open Layers and move the shape below the chart

CherylHagevik_3-1701211914679.png

CherylHagevik_4-1701212008605.png

Stack mode export:

CherylHagevik_5-1701212136765.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @ArielLow2146,

The simplest trick is to add your text box in a panel:

FasilTiru_0-1700264760196.png

Thanks,

Fasil T.

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146

@FasilTiru the following note in the documentation makes me wonder whether adding the text as a panel will work. Or whether it would only work if I added something else with the text.

ArielLow2146_0-1700505521970.png

I was using text as titles for charts and infographics (the default chart title doesn't have a fill option). I need these titles to be visible when stacked and am trying to figure out how to accomplish that with the least amount of re-configuration for the infographics I've already created.

ArielLow2146_1-1700505668292.png

0 Kudos
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for clarifying @ArielLow2146. Yes, you are correct about the requirement for adding another element to keep it as a panel. 

For your specific use case, I think the simplest solution might be as follows:

1. Add a panel as I showed above
  2. Add a text box to the panel 
  3. FasilTiru_1-1700510877101.png
  4. You will have two text boxes side by side. You can simply resize the boxes and the container panel as follows and drag it over your header text boxes: 
  5. FasilTiru_2-1700510979821.png
  6. Your text box will be shown inside the blank panel. You can copy/paste the same panel and overlap it with other text boxes. If you resize both panels and match the boundaries, it will appear as follows in stack mode.
  7. FasilTiru_3-1700511487920.png

I hope this helps.

Fasil

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146

@FasilTiru is there no way to add an existing chart to a text panel (rather than having to configure a new chart). Or to add a text element/text box to an existing chart panel?

I appreciate the work around you provided but am concerned that adding empty elements will make any sort of keyboard navigation of the infographic more challenging.

0 Kudos
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

@ArielLow2146 Not currently. It looks like you basically want more formatting options for the chart header here. May be submitting this enhancement under ideas will be helpful for us. 

FasilTiru_0-1700606786996.png

Thanks,

Fasil

CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Hi @ArielLow2146 Thanks for reaching out with this question. We will consider improving options for title formatting in the future for background fills and for using multiple lines, for example. 

In addition to the details that Fasil has provided, you can consider the following in your infographics design for stack mode:

• With Stack mode, any elements that overlap with a panel are picked up and displayed. So to help with your goal, you could add a free floating element that overlaps with a Chart panel.
  • For your goal, you can use the Title setting within the Chart options to create the text. Then, add a shape element and move it behind the chart title.
  • This method can be used to add additional elements to panels like text and shapes. 

Here are the steps I used for your goal, as an example:

1. In exsiting chart panel, add a title

CherylHagevik_0-1701211726009.png

2. Add element > Images > Shapes and icons

CherylHagevik_1-1701211820559.png

3. Search for and add a shape

CherylHagevik_2-1701211850668.png

4. Move and resize shape > Open Layers and move the shape below the chart

CherylHagevik_3-1701211914679.png

CherylHagevik_4-1701212008605.png

Stack mode export:

CherylHagevik_5-1701212136765.png

HelenThompson
Esri Contributor

HI Ariel et al

I know there is a fix but also using annotation text in a chart is an option I often use. Simply add text using the Annotation panel in Chart Options.

HelenThompson_0-1701797950068.png

And configure the new text as desired. You can use most of the styling options, including fill and fonts. I also did a rotation and updated the right margin to show this example in stack mode of using the header as a marginal banner. I use this a lot, especially for legends as I can use special characters, multiple fonts sizes and control exactly where the legend is placed within the margins.

HelenThompson_1-1701798035844.png

Pronouns: she/her/hers
Follow me: Twitter @siaction | LinkedIn helensthompson
0 Kudos