CityEngine coordinates are incorrect/inconsistent

Jump to solution
09-05-2023 12:04 PM
WRoberts2
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

Currently I am working on exporting positional data and models from CityEngine to Unity. I was successful when working with buildings in Toronto. Everything works correctly and the CityEngine coordinates are correct. I have confirmed this through multiple lat long address finders, and the model is in Unity at the correct location. Where I am having trouble is doing this same thing for other cities. Los Angeles, New York, and Detroit all have the same problem. The coordinates that CityEngine gives are just a bit incorrect and result in incorrect building placement in Unity. The buildings look correct in ArcGIS Online, CityEngine, and ArcGISPro, but Unity places the buildings incorrectly and googling the provided positional data shows that the CityEngine data is not correct.  

I have confirmed that the Spatial References are correct in both CityEngine, ArcGISPro, and Unity. I am also using the same system in Unity to place the buildings in each city, and only Toronto is correct. The positions of the buildings in other cities are not all offset by a uniform value, and there is nothing hardcoded in my system that is specific to one city or another besides location data. 

I would appreciate any help or inside anyone has to help me solve this problem. I am including screenshots below to help demonstrate my point.

CityEnginePic.png

This screenshot shows that CityEngine places the building correctly.

ArcGISProPic.png

This screenshot shows that ArcGISPro has the same data that CityEngine does and positions the building correctly.

LatLongFinderPic.png

After googling the positional data, I can see that the lat longs provided by CityEngine are not where the buildings are being placed in the Esri programs

UnityPic.png

This is how the building looks in Unity. It is positioned correctly according to the position data, but clearly the position data is pointing to the wrong place.

I would love any help you can give me. 

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WRoberts2
New Contributor II

I do not know why this was the issue, but the issue was caused by using a new cga file to report values. Using my old cga file gave more accurate lat long coordinates using getGeoCoords(lat | long). Going back to the old cga fixed the issue

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SimonHaegler
Esri Contributor

Hi,

how do you export the positional data from CE and how do you import it into Unity?

Best,
Simon

0 Kudos
WRoberts2
New Contributor II

Hi,

Currently I use custom CGAs to report the position data and other object attributes, and export them in a Geodatabase. I then upload that to ArcGISOnline and query the data in Unity. I match the name or osmID to the model name to correctly position the buildings.

Thanks,

William

0 Kudos
WRoberts2
New Contributor II

I do not know why this was the issue, but the issue was caused by using a new cga file to report values. Using my old cga file gave more accurate lat long coordinates using getGeoCoords(lat | long). Going back to the old cga fixed the issue

0 Kudos