Crop image not working

Jump to solution
06-25-2015 12:22 PM
ScottAulen2
New Contributor III

I'm having inconsistent results with the crop image tool.  When it's accessible it works fine but it only seems available some of the time (greyed out the rest of the time).  I've also never been able to crop the image from the File Navigator context menu though help document says this should be possible.

Are these bugs?  Anyone else have the same issue?

16 Replies
ThomasHarner2
New Contributor

This does NOT work on CE 2015.1. I am at a total loss for how an issue like this can go unaddressed for more than three months. I give Chris a lot of credit for being kind enough to show us a potential workaround, but it just does not work for a particular group of people and it's incredibly discouraging to newcomers to CityEngine. Please let us know when a fix is made.

0 Kudos
AlexisNoakes
New Contributor II

The workaround isn't doing it for me either (CE 2015.1) Hope it'll be resolved soon

0 Kudos
KennethLindhardt
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Like others I also have this issue, still ongoing on 2015,2. Here is the workaround I’m using. For some reason all of the images from the CityEngine examples works, (the ones I’ve tested). So by copying (not mandatory) one of those ex. /Example_Paris__2014_0/assets/FacadePool/145_1.jpg to my project asset folder, start the Crop Image tool on “145_1.jpg” and afterword’s change the source Image to the one you would like to crop. Then you should be good to go.

Tested V. 2015.2

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kenneth Lindhardt,

Thank you for your report.

For CityEngine 2015.2 the original issue of this thread has been fixed.

So I couldn't reproduce what you described. Here is what I did:

1. create a new project (Menu > File > New... > CityEngine project)
  2. add a image file to the assets folder (via drag and drop)
  3. select the image file in the navigator
  4. then open the crop tool (right click > Crop image... or Menu >Shapes > Crop image...)
0 Kudos
KennethLindhardt
Occasional Contributor

Thanks’ Thomas.

I did remember the release note for 2015.2, and it has have not been an issue before. So this seems to be regarding that one picture, all other pictures works fine. At first I thought it was the image aspect ratio, but that was’ not the case.

There’s nothing to that picture, that stands out from other pictures, not in size or pixels. It’s actually just a snip from my screen.

Glad it has been resolved for 2015.2, and sorry for bringing this up ,but if any others are experiencing the same, now they now a workaround

I can’t reproduce on any other pictures, so it must be an odd behavior with that one picture. I’m not even able to reproduce with another snip.  

0 Kudos
AlexisNoakes
New Contributor II

The crop tool is finally working for me in 2015.2. Not sure if this will help but I've found the crop tool is case sencitive regarding the .jpg ending. I have a program that saves images with ".JPG" which the crop tool won't open, just rename with lowercase letters.

Best of luck!

ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you Alexis for the reproduction case.

Today I filed a bug report.

The workaround would be to use lowercase image file endings (e.g. *.jpg instead of *.JPG)

0 Kudos